Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quinoa and Goji Berries

Well we're just about to Monday again already ...

This morning I tried my new Ezekiel Golden Flax cereal and it was really good. I had it with some frozen goji berries and strawberries.
Then we went to church and my mother-in-law brought me some black bean soup she had made so for lunch I ate some of that (it was good!) ... ... along with some soup, I ate a spinach salad with mushrooms, a half of an apple sliced up, some garlic and herb seasoning, white wine vinaigrette, and topped with pine nuts. Then, halfway through the salad I decided to add a toasted piece of sprouted hemp seed bread. I made some more yogurt last night, as we had run out. Thankfully, my last few batches of yogurt have turned out nice and thick like it's supposed to and it's really good! A little after lunch Erik and I worked out together on the new Boflex ... we did biceps and tri's. I'm sure glad he knows what he's doing because I'd never be able to figure that all out by myself without tons of reading, and probably more!

After working out, guess what I snacked on?? Yep, some freshly made greek yogurt :), with (as usual) ground flax seed and cacao nibs, a packet of Truvia, and some frozen berries. Though this time I topped it with some dried goji berries and sliced almonds. This is our first time trying goji berries. I think they're good, and I think they'll grow on me the more I eat them, but I wasn't sure what to think at first, probably because it's a new taste. Does anyone else have any thoughts on goji berries?

Onto dinner ... my plate consisted of stir-fry veggies, some quinoa, and shrimp. (My husband had ground turkey because he didn't want shrimp). We hadn't ever had quinoa before but I really liked it. Though after we cooked it, we read about how you're supposed to soak it before you cook it and we didn't do that, and apparently if you don't do that it makes the quinoa taste bitter. Does anyone have any tips on cooking quinoa or good recipes using quinoa? Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated : )

Hope everyone has a great Monday!!

3 comments:

  1. HI! OMG i love quinoa it is probably my favorite grain, i've gotten some beyond awesome recipes using it from the fat free vegan blog: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/search/search.pl?Realm=blog&Terms=quinoa&sb.x=243&sb.y=441&sb=Search+This+Blog
    Oh and as for goji berries i don't like the taste at all, i kept trying to convince myself to eat them but then i kept reading these articles about how they're called the wolfberry and aren't as great as they're made out to be so now I eat them less
    if you really want a workout dvd i'd suggest any of the Jillian Michael's ones, or you could go to www.yogatoday.com for a free video of new yoga routines
    K well have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just stopped by your blog and Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...my thoughts on goji berries are that I don't like them. And I feel bad about it!! You always read such god things about them, but I tried them once and didn't like them. Maybe I got a bad brand?

    Oh, and you don't have to soak quinoa, just rinse it!! I'm sure I would never end up eating it if I had to remember to soak it first.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections