Friday, November 20, 2009

Staying active in the office

Happy Weekend!!!

After working a lot of overtime the past few weeks I’ve been thinking about how much I actually sit in a day.

Being stuck in a cubicle all day long, every day, here are some things I do to try to move as much as possible during the work week.

  • always take the stairs. when i come to work, i take the stairs to my floor, when i take breaks, i use the stairs and when i leave, i take the stairs. it all adds up!

(these are the  very stairs I use each and every day ; )

Picture 59867

  • walk or stand during break. i use my morning break to get personal things done like phone calls and writing “to dos” but for my afternoon break i walk around with one of my coworkers.
  • drink plenty of water. i aim for at least 52 ounces while at work but most of the time drink more. when you’re not dehydrated you’ll have more energy and will want to move around more. (plus, you will probably be getting up to use to bathroom frequently which equals more walking ; )

What other tips do you have on how to stay active with an office job?

 

The Weekend Plans

Tonight I plan on relaxing, blogging and flipping through my new Real Simple that just came in the mail today.

Picture 59870

And for the rest of the weekend, my known plans are …

  • make bagels
  • hang out in Kansas City
  • do some shopping for Samaritan’s Purse shoeboxes
  • put together a diet/fitness plan for my co-worker and friend (with some professional advice from my PT husband ; )

Have a fabulous weekend!

 

-Lesley

10 comments:

  1. Great tips! I always take my office stairs! Sometimes when I just need a break- I will go up and down them one time- just to get moving. Enjoy your weekend- sounds like you have good stuff planned

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Real Simple magazine :)

    Enjoy your busy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I agree. Sitting for 8 hours a day totally blows. That is why, the only thing I want to do when I get home is workout. I feel like I will turn to mush if I don't move a little after work.

    Have a great weekend. Sounds like you have some great things planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great tips! I get so stir crazy when I have classes all day that sometimes I take a few extra laps around campus just to get movin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take the stairs, walk a mile on my morning break and walk a mile on my afternoon break. I do my workout in the morning too to wake me up and give me energy to survive the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good thing about being at college is that it involves lots of walking, which I'm learning to appreciate.
    Can't wait to see how homemade bagels turn out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're making bagels?! So cool! I've never made bagels before.
    I could easily sit at my job everyday, but since I work at home I have the ability to put my lap top on the ironing board, therefore I can stand and work away! I sit maybe 20% of the day, and stand the rest. It really works well for me. I also randomly walk around the apartment (sometimes towards the kitchen...) or do push ups!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excuse me, I'll take my bagel warm and fresh with a little bit-O butter. m'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two days of the week I am sedentary, so I just get bored sitting in one place. I choose to go to the rest room thats the farthest, that way I just move a little! Sleep strikes if i stay idle and keep staring at the computer for a longtime, so i have to be on the move..I am weird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always take the stairs at work and do plank,crunches and yoga in my office at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections