Friday, November 13, 2009

Our “gym”, the two greatest veggies

So glad it’s the weekend! I’m hoping to have a productive one, especially since the husband will be working most of it and I’ll be all alone.

First up in exciting news …. this is what I’m now doing my morning cardio on : )

bh_fitness_ocean_450

We have been eyeing this very simple but cute little elliptical for awhile at our MC Sports. I’ve wanted one ever since we decided to cancel our gym membership and start working out at home.

I like my treadmill but I find that I feel like I get a better workout on an elliptical because it’s low impact and I can “run” as much as I want with no problems. For whatever reason, I also just find the elliptical more exciting and entertaining.

Do you work out at home or go to the gym??

I think there’s definitely pros and cons to both scenarios. We’re collecting quite a “gym” at our house and we’re now up to:

  • Boflex Blaze (used mostly for exercises where you need cables)
  • Bench press with leg press/preacher curl attachments
  • Dumbbell set from 5lbs to 50lbs
  • Treadmill (though technically my MIL’s ;)
  • Elliptical

I’d say we’re set for awhile! To us it’s worth the initial investment because we get use of it everyday and will save money and time in the long run. 

Our plans are to make our unfinished side of the basement into the official “gym” but we’ve got some painting and cleaning up to do! As soon as we do that I’ll have to give you all the official online tour ; )

Dinner was quick tonight and the star of the show was asparagus.

Picture 59741

I love asparagus! It’s one of my favorite veggies. Probably falls right after Brussels. Haha. I’m quite sure I could eat either of those every single day and never tire of them.

What’s your all-time favorite veggie?

Erik’s currently singing to me making up a song about how he’s ready to leave so I’m out … have a great weekend!!

 

-Lesley

 

21 comments:

  1. All-time favorite vegetable = it's a tie between broccoli and brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work out at home (yoga in the basement) which I love.. I literally roll out of bed, slip on some spandex, and hit the mat -- no need to look cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellipticals are tough! I never last very long on them, but when I Was injured I did them all the time. The road is my gym. If not the road then I go to the gym do spinning or yoga.

    And veggies... Tough to say I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to workout at home, I have a free membership but rarely use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had asparagus tonight too :) It does give me gas though, unfortunately. I love brussels too, and mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and sugar snap peas!

    Love the elliptical, and so jealous. When Nick and I move I am going to get one of those. I agree about the low impact benefit, I can't run as far or fast as I do on an elliptical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your comment on my blog, and seriously, I can't believe how many of the readers said they can do that! Nick is sitting her telling me that the picture I posted doesn't even show how far they can really go. I'll have to take a better one soon :) Either way, I don't feel as crazy and contorted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a total sucker for Broccoli Rabe! I can eat it for breakfast, lunch & dinner ... just ask my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your blog!! and i LOVE asparagus too! prob my fav-especially when its grilled

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the total opposite--I get sooo bored on the elliptical. I do it more often than not because the impact of running would shatter my shins if I did it daily. I find it hard to get my heart rate up on the elliptical too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. owww fun new purchase! I usually work out at the gym but love running outside too. The asparagus looks so good. FAVORITE veggie? I dunno if I can pick. I really like brussels but couldn't do without broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, carrots...I could go on for days :) Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. all time favorite =kabocha!

    such a exciting new machine! I wish I had a Elliptical machine at home, it would be so much more convenient than going to the gym, specially on rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home gym is amazing! I use the gym in my apartment complex and I'm also a member at a local gym so I can take aerobics classes. You can't put a price on good health!
    Yummy asparagus. Broccoli is my veggie main squeeze :)
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo that eliptical looks fancy! My mom really digs the eliptical and treadmill too, but for me I prefer yoga and working out to different exercise Wii games I've accumulated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bah, asparagus is one of my least favorite veggies. (I hate the funny pee smell too!) I like broccoli a lot, especially when it's stir-fried crisp tender), and after that? Hmmm, probably brussels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lesley!
    It's so hard to pick a favorite veggie! Asparagus is up there, but I probably have broccoli more regularly. I also love zucchini...it's so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm LOVE asparagus! it is so hard to pick ONE fav veggie since i am a huge fan of so many! I do love broccoli and broccoli rabe, kale, cauliflower and aspargus!

    I always workout at the gym....i have worked out at home, but I certainly get more motivated at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a huge treadmill fan, but it's fun to mix it up. I have never had success working out at home, with the exception of a video or two.
    Right now I am loving squash and brussels sprouts, but asparagus is on the top of my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love asparagus too!I really think working out at home motivates me to get going much better than going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great pic of those asparagus! Favorite veggie?! Hmm...anything that's been ROASTED! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections