Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cha-cha-cha-chia!

Happy Weekend!

When I was little, my parents always used to joke about how they were going to get me a Chia Pet for Christmas. Because let’s just be honest here … Chia Pet commercials are pretty much the equivalent to Snuggie commercials. Cha-cha-cha-chia! (If my parents ever do decide I need a Chia Pet, it must be Chia Mr. T because I love him).

chiamrtLittle did I know, I’d be eating Chia seeds when I grew up!  Ha.  Here is my mini tutorial of this new super food that is the chia seed.

Picture 59917

What is chia?

Chia is the richest and only unprocessed whole foods source of pure Omega-3. Chia is native to Central America and is a member of the mint family.

Facts about chia

- Chia was first used as a food as early as 3500 BC by the Aztecs. The seeds were eaten to improve endurance and were calling "running food" because of their staying power.

- Chia is high in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, fiber, calcium, protein, magnesium and potassium. Unlike flax, it does not have to be ground.

- Chia seeds are about 20% protein.

- Chia seeds are very high in antioxidants and have a shelf live of about 5 years.

- When soaked in water for 30 seconds, chia seeds form a gel-like substance that slows down the rate at which digestive enzymes turns carbohydrates into sugar which will not spike your insulin.

How to use

- Chia seeds can be added to many foods such as cereal, soup, salad, yogurt, smoothies and baked goods. You can also grind chia seeds to make a flour or even sprout them.

Thus far, I’ve use chia seeds on toastPicture 59946 Picture 59950

In oats and cerealPicture 59965 

On baked chickenPicture 59978 And in water with some juice from a lemon & a little stevia sweetener … when put in liquid, chia seeds become slightly gel-like.Picture 59974

I’ve found that chia seeds are basically tasteless and I really can’t even tell that I’m eating them except for that they’re high fiber and make things slightly more filling.

So basically … you can use chia seeds in just about anything! : )

For more information on chia seeds and recipes ideas, click here.

What’s your favorite way to eat chia seeds?

 

-Lesley

19 comments:

  1. Hey Lesley, thanks for sharing the news of chia seeds!I have been reading this seeds from quite a few bloggers, yet have NO idea what they are! I like poppy seed very much- this seems to be very similar one:D
    I don't see it quite often in the super market - maybe I should check out the wholefood :D they sounds really interesting! can't wait to try it in my bakery:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more chia seeds than I know what to do with! thanks so much for the ideas :)

    p.s. I used to always want a garfield chia pet..don't ask me why

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is so useful for me, I need ideas to have chia seeds (bought 2 bags 2 months ago and haven't found the way to use it yet). :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love adding Chia seeds to things! I loved some of your new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, one of my all time fav shows growing up was the ''A-Team''. I've heard great things about chia seeds, may have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a long time to get into eating these little seeds seeming how I would grow the plants all the time when I was little ha ha! Now I mix them into pretty much anything when I actually remember to get them out of the cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gah, your toast always makes me DROOL
    ive never had chia seeds!!! i feel so out of the loop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! How weird is it that we are now eating these little seeds of pure nutrients? Who would have though some weird head of grass could be so healthy for you? LoL

    I dig these seeds so much. I love adding them to my oats, but seeing your toast is giving me a world of new ideas. ;)

    Enjoy your weekend love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never consumed Chia, but I sure do remember those Chia Pet commercials! What a blast form the past.

    I should check them out, I'm sure I could find them at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Thanks for the nutrition facts about them, I really didn't know they how healthy they were!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That chia on baked chicken just wowed me over. Creative stuff! I've never tried them before....are they pricey though?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chia seeds in my smoothies, especially when they get a big jelly!! It adds some "bulk" to it.

    I also love them in oatmeal... yum..

    My chia seeds are white though, not black!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH YES, I grew up seeing chia pet commercials!!!

    Thx so much for doing this post on chia seeds since I have been reading so much about them. I see some great ideas from your pics on how to use them & looks like they may end up in my oatmeal soon AND on my chicken! Do you still use flax too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chia seeds! I put them in my breakfast-- either cereal or oatmeal, most mornings. I haven't tried them in lunch or dinner dishes yet-- I should give that a whirl!

    The only thing I hate about them is how much they look like fleas!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chia on your chicken!? That's genius! I always think to use it on sweet things. I love it on toast+ab+banana...I love the crunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE chia! I have them in my oats every morning! I love their gel like texture that they become :)

    chia on chicken or fish is a great idea! that would make for a delicious nutty topping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this post! I need to put my chia seeds to good use ;) Kinda sad that they're flavorless though... :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi hi! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog :) I have yet to try the chia! But love the idea of putting it on toast with other delicious toppings. Hope you're enjoying your Sunday night

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chia seeds are new to me, sounds like you can use them in lots of different recipes, I'm looking forward to trying!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley that was a great post on chia seeds! I've seen them pop up all over lately but have yet to try them. I love that you posted all the ways that you've enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections