Wednesday, December 2, 2009

NuVal 101

Good day, everyone! ; )

I’m sure most everyone in the foodie blogworld has heard of NuVal because of Tina’s position working for them.

Not long after hearing about NuVal from her blog, I was excited to see that the Hyvee where I do most of my grocery shopping was beginning to implement the system.

I think the NuVal concept is great, so for those who don’t know how it works, or for those who are wondering what these new NuVal signs and stickers are all about … here’s some more info ; )

nuval nuval_tag

NuVal 101 

NuVal scores all food on a scale of 1 to 100. The scores are placed right on the price so it’s easy to compare scores just as you compare prices. The higher the NuVal score, the higher the nutrition.  And as their website says, it’s that simple!

For example, diced tomatoes with Italian herbs has a score of 47 whereas the diced tomatoes with no salt added as a much higher score of 82.  Therefore … I’d pick the no salt added diced tomatoes!

1118091726

Each category of food has a median score posted.  Meat and poultry scores range from 24 to 53, therefore the median score is 28. So when choosing a meat, the closer the score is to 53, the more nutritious it is.

1118091732

NuVal is a great system making it much easier and faster to make a healthy decision when it comes to the foods you are buying.  I’m very happy to now see it in my local Hyvee and I’d definitely suggest comparing scores next time you’re shopping at a store that implements the system! : )  (NuVal is currently being used is Hyvee, Price Chopper, and Meijer).

For more information, visit the NuVal website.

 

In Other News

I’m not off to drink some tea and eat dinner. I’m thinkin’ dinner tonight will be an omelet and veggies … mmm, I can’t wait to eat it!Picture 59970

Also .. I heard some VERY exciting news tonight and I can’t wait to share it!!! (but I have to keep my mouth shut a little longer).

Have a great day, friends!!

 

-Lesley

 

20 comments:

  1. Awesome! I haven't seen the NuVal system in our stores...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, very interesting -- never heard of the NuVal system -- i'm intrigued! though i'm not quite sure I want to know the nutrition value of some one of the things I buy (i.e. edys butterfinger froyo.. can't help myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting system. I wonder how widely it will be implemented?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of NuVal! Very cool that they have it at your store. OWWWWWWWW! Whats the news?? I'm so nosey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about NuVal and can't wait for it to come to stores in my area. And can I just say I'm SUPER jealy that you are near a HyVee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! i feel like i can take the extra time to look at ingredients, etc. and figure out what's healthier, but a lot of people aren't educated in that area or don't have time to spend 5 minutes with two cans of tomatoes looking at sodium. education is the most important tool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think NuVal is a great springboard for people.

    Can't wait to hear the big announcement.

    And on the other post I need to try Blue Bird I've heard good things but have never been!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nuval is totally a great idea :) i hope they bring it to places near me! haha

    shareee the newss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to check out NuVal because the concept seems great!

    Mmm, hope you enjoy your omelett. I'm glad someone is taking over Wednesday night BFD tradition until I can return. lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun that they are using NuVal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i cannot wait to hear your exciting news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO COOL!!! I hope the system comes to grocery stores in our area soon! This is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the NuVal system, and I really hope Columbus picks it up!! I can't wait to start teaching it to to thers. So fun, and so helpful.

    Have a great day Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh. Exciting! I love good news. I absolutely love the NuVal grading system. I think it should be used in all grocery stores. That's just another reason to miss HyVee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the whole concept of NuVal--makes it a bit easier to navigate all the products out there. Tina is so lucky to represent such a cool company!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of NuVal until now. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sooo hope they bring that into Canada. It's so great!! Especially something as simple as tomatoes, I would just assume they were all good!!
    Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your exciting news!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard about Nuval quite a while back but not here in my area yet. I read some pros & cons but mostly pros! Sounds good to me & I am a label reader anyway!!! :-)

    OK, what is that news!!! We are curious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect! It'll be veggie omelets for dinner! I was freaking because it's almost 4pm and had no idea what to feed the scavengers this evening....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leaving us hanging!!? Can't wait for the announcement--let the cat outta the bag wouldya?

    I didn't know Nuval is starting to be posted in grocery stores! I'll have to look out for it. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections