Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas dinner menu

Hello!

Was anyone else affected by the bad weather this holiday season? We’re in Nebraska, have to travel through Kansas, and live in Missouri. All three states got quite a storm and it’s definitely affected our traveling. We left to come a day early and we’re staying a day later than planned. It’s actually kind of nice to do nothing for another day.

But we’ve got plenty of delicious Christmas dinner leftovers to polish off as we’re stuck another day!

In case you missed it, Erik and I did most of the cooking this year at my mom’s house just because we felt like it. The menu was as follows:

  • An organic turkey. This was my first experience cooking a whole turkey. We ended up cooking it just a little longer than I would have preferred but it was still tasty.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

  • Cold couscous salad. It contained couscous, sliced almonds, assorted dried berries, feta cheese, olives, sliced grapes, orange juice, agave nectar, apple sauce, onion & herb seasonings, sea salt, and olive oil.

My family didn’t know what couscous was but they didn’t mind it. The feta cheese threw my parents off because they don’t like feta. Erik and I have plenty of leftovers and we don’t mind, ha. Though, we discovered this salad tastes better warm.

BBBB

  • Mashed red potatoes.  The mashed potatoes included our “secret ingredient” of light laughing cow cheese wedges. Yum!!

BBBBBB

  • Mashed sweet potatoes. Erik was in charge of potatoes and he made the best mashed sweet potatoes I’ve ever tasted. So good!!

BBBBBBB

  • Roasted veggies.  We smoked these on my parents’ Traeger grill and they came out amazing! I was in veggie heaven! It included Brussels, green, yellow, orange, and red bell peppers, sweet onions, zucchini squash and cherry tomatoes.

BB BBBBBBBBB

Along with that, my sister contributed a cold salad and corn, my mom made her famous rolls, my grandma made dressing (no one can make dressing like grandmas can ;), and banana cream pie.

For my dessert contribution, I made “Nikki’s Healthy Cookies Recipe” from 101 Cookbooks.B

It was dinner for seven that included my parents, my grandma, my sister and her husband, and Erik and I. Needless to say, we were all stuffed!

Karmon and Erik took a dorky table picture …ironically they both just randomly posed not knowing what the other one was doing. It worked out well ; )BBBBBBBBBB

While cleaning up, I fed all five dogs some scraps. It was interesting, ha. But they were all pretty good and took turns very well, considering.BBBBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBBBBBB We will be thoroughly enjoying our leftovers today and will probably do some juicing on my new juicer! : )

What was the best part of your Christmas meal?

image

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous dinner. Kudos to you and Erik!! I am especially liking the looks of the sweet potato mash and the roasted veggies. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank goodness for leftovers! hope the weather doesn't ruin the rest or your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm what a wonderful Christmas menu!!! It all looks wonderful. This year was my first time making a turkey and it didn't turn out too bad, but I was freaking out because I thought it wouldn't defrost in time lol. I have to say my favorite part is the stuffing and it was so nice getting to see my family again :) Hope you are having better weather. Ours isn't too bad, but it's been chilly and rainy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww the doggies are adorable! i LOVE the looks of that organic turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that the weather situation kind of turned out as a good thing for y'alls vacation time :)

    Dinner looks wonderful, and I love the idea of using Laughing Cow in the mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was raining on Christmas day for us on the East Coast. :? A lot of the snow from the storm last week has melted as well. That couscous salad sounds super delicious---orange-flavored couscous is cool in my book! ;) Adding Laughing Cow to mashed potatoes sounds like a fabulous idea. They look so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I wish I was at your dinner! That food looked fantastic!!!!! And being a coolie lover, HOLY COW, those cookies looked YUMMY!!!!

    Looks like fun for all including the doggies!

    Hope you make it home safe & sounds! The weather is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather here has been crazy, too. We've had a lot of lake effect snow. I hope it all goes away before I have to drive back to St. Louis next week!

    Your holiday eats looks so good. I love the idea of a couscous salad with feta in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard Nebraska got bombed by the snow, yep! The dogs are tooooooo cute, I love it!! Your meal looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The roasted veggies are beautiful! So many cute doggie faces. I am keeping that couscous recipe for ideas later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, the menu looks stunning! I love cooking the whole meal because I like planning everything out :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections