Monday, December 7, 2009

Local Burger

Happy cold Monday! 

We got our Christmas tree up just in time … the weather is getting colder and colder and the Christmas spirit evoked by the decorations helps me to embrace the cold : ) I love Christmas!!

Local Burger

Instead of Kansas City, this weekend Erik and I went to explore Lawrence, Kansas. We planned on going to a new restaurant, 715, for dinner.  After a little exploring, we quickly got cold and hungry from walking around in the wind, and decided to save 715 for another time and went to Local Burger instead.

(Yes, it was as good as it sounds ; )Picture 60032 Local Burger is a fast food burger joint that’s also healthy, low key, and all local. Check out their website for more info. 

The decor was really cute, bright and colorful, yet simple. Picture 60035 And the menu was just about perfect …  I’m still amazed that it’s all local! I love it!

Burger choices were beef, elk, buffalo, pork, veggie, and tofu filet but that certainly wasn’t all that was on their awesome menu.Picture 60036

Erik went with the Elk burger (which came from Rocky Hills Elk Ranch in Winchester, Kansas) on a gluten free bun served with seasonal quinoa-millet pilaf.

Did I mention all of their sides are organic, gluten free and vegan?

Picture 60037

I got a turkey burger (which came from Vesecky Family Farms in Baldwin City, Kansas) served with peas and carrots

Thinking back on my choice, it was pretty boring because I always eat turkey! Ha. I regret not trying their veggie burger because it’s the “world’s best veggie burger”.  Oh well … next time. My turkey burger still tasted great!Picture 60038

All in all (as if it’s not already evident) we LOVED our experience at Local Burger. It’s such a neat and unique place and we were very impressed with the taste and menu options.

And the fact that it’s fast food is even better just because it’s such a one-of-a-kind fast food joint. (Why can’t they all be like that??) I’m really glad we’re just an hour away … we’ll definitely be going back!

We ended our time in Lawrence by eating some little brownie bites we picked up in a small health foods cafe/market. (I can’t remember what it consisted of but I know it was something like cacao powder, nuts, dried apricots … you get the idea ; ) Yum! Picture 60043

I’m now off to eat some turkey chili that Erik made earlier today. (He makes the best soup!)

Hope you all had a great start to your week and stay warm!! : )

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow …

 

-Lesley

 

30 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm the same way, I stick with what I'm used to--but now you can looks forward to a veggie burger next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great eats you've been enjoying lately! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh, those burgers look fantastic! I've never heard of an elk burger, only bison. Is there a difference?

    I love that they have gluten free buns. I have never been to a restaurant that sells those, and I'd smile very brightly if I saw then on a menu!

    The brownie bites look so amazing, almost like little LArabars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that restaurant concept! it all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place sounds wonderful! I hope you go back and get that veggie burger and let us know how it is. I would be jumping at the chance to try the Worlds Best Veggie Burger! :)

    Glad you had a good day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lawrence Kansas here I come! What a truly amazing restaurant concept. I am totally all about the local veggies and meat so this place is right up my ally. Never had Elk burger but I totally would. Picked up some Bison meat myself today, maybe it's similar? And the peas and carrots as a side! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat place! I want to try the veggie burger!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lesley
    I just found your blog. Wow, it is terrific. I would love to follow it. My blog is not near so interesting I am afraid :)
    I have been unable to participate in exercise for the past year, and am currently a walker. I have a long ways to go before I incorporate more into my life. But I hope one day to participate in the fitness loves I so miss. Beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable restaurant! And I love the choices they offer, hopefully one day there will be little "local burger" joints all over the place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to try that restaurant! What a great business plan they've got! Is it a popular place? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes! the taste was "new" to me, but I started enjoying it halfway and I bought more. My store has only strawberry, tropical, and cranberry (which is always out) the rest are PLUS+.

    Email me at Gotangelas@yahoo and I would gladly mail the tropical for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOSH i need to try that restaurant ASAP!! where are you from again? gahh im jelous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That restaurant looks so cute :] ELK burger?! Man, I wish I could try one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how bright the restaurant is! AND the food looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool restaurant! Love the concept, the decor, the sides (especially). Just awesome. We need a place like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum i love places like this. we have one near my house and it's seriously the best. local grown and raised and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm...those burgers look good! I love the idea of being able to trace your burger to the farm it came from-- very locavore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like such a fun little funky place! I really love when places offer other types of burgers instead of just beef! I would have had a hard time choosing between the turkey and veggie as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cool restaurant! I would love it if we had something like that around here. The concept is awesome and the decor is so fun too. Thanks for sharing about it. They sell elk around here and I've always been interested to try it. I love buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, looks delicious!! Love how bright and colorful it is as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This place looks awesome! An elk burger?! Wow. I wouldn't even call this fast food...it looks fresh and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this place looks amazing! I have never even heard of an elk burger, wish we had something like this near me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "The World's Most Local Burger" makes me think that the fresh cows are right out back??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! My cousin/aunt live in KS! Too cool! I wonder if they have been here!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish they would have had this place in Lawrence when I lived there. This looks amazing. I miss KU and downtown Lawrence. I hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the incredible write-up about Local Burger! We are soo glad you enjoyed our food and experience! And everyone, your comments are awesome, thank you! Hope to see you very soon at LB!

    http://localburger.com/
    http://twitter.com/Localburger
    http://www.facebook.com/LocalBurger

    ReplyDelete
  27. The place is so colorful. But where are the fries?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah-- no fries? Seriously? That's the best part. Maybe they can't grow potatoes locally so they stay away from them.. since it seems that "fresh" is their theme. Very cute place!
    -Sylvia
    Arganese Cigars

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections