Friday, February 27, 2009

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

HAPPY WEEKEND : )

First off, I had my first green monster today and I LOVED it. I've been seeing these all over everyone's blog lately and then my friend, Andrea (who faithfully reads many of our blogs, and will hopefully start a blog of her own soon -- I'll introduce you when she does;) Hi, Andrea!) said she's been making them and I thought ... well I better try one! So, I told Angela at Oh She Glows how I've been seeing them everywhere and she suggested I start out with spinach rather than kale and to definitely use a banana. So I did (it worked well because I didn't have kale at the
moment, though I'm sure I still would have loved it with kale because I like kale!).
Come to find
out, there was no ice in the ice maker either, so I did my best and used spinach leaves, half a banana, almond milk, and a Truvia packet. I was very pleased and will definitely be making these more often. (Note my cute V-day cute given to me by Lauryl : )So moving on, as I mentioned yesterday, by reading others' posts this week, I've become aware that this week has been National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. I've read so many posts of so many of you being so honest about struggles, triumphs, etc that you've gone through and it just made me think a little bit. I always love everyone's honesty and I love this network of girls helping each other out and being a support system! So I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

I thought of this song called "Mirror" written by a group called Barlow Girl. I don't really ever listen to them, but I'm familiar with their songs and these lyrics came to mind. I googled them and listened to the song more and I think the lyrics are GREAT. It was actually written by one of them who was overcoming ED. While I haven't personally struggled with ED, and while I don't pretend to understand what anyone has gone through in the past or is going through currently, I think we all have something at least a little in common. Whether we're trying loose weight, trying to gain and get to a healthy weight, or somewhere in between, I think at times us girls can ALL come together and relate to this song.

"Mirror"

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Have I got it?

'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
So sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me
Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try, I won't try


Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare
I know He defines me


You don't define me, you don't define me

It might happen every single time we look at the mirror, or maybe it's just once in awhile if we think about it too much, or when we're having a bad day, but I think we all have times when we look in the mirror and we let it tell us who we are by what we see, and let that mirror compare us to others who we think look better. We let it tell us we're not beautiful, we're not worth anything, or fill in the blank. We let it tell us we're ugly and that we're not worthy of love, not good enough, not beautiful enough to be loved. And while we all experience different extremes of this, and how often we feel it, it's there. This longing to feel beautiful, to BE beautiful, to be assured that you're beautiful and to feel strong and courageous about it. We long to be captivating, accepted, to freely and confidently to fully know and be known, and still be beautiful.

So what do we do about this feeling, this longing? At times it's easy to ignore it. Maybe we push it aside with a new outfit, or new hair cut ... or maybe unhealthily obsess over food, our career, school, working out, or whatever. But at the end of the day if you really look, it's might be scary to realize it's still there ... longing to be fulfilled. So here's my personal experience with this longing ... at least in my own life, just as contained in this song, the only way these feelings have ever been fulfilled is to realize that God calls me beautiful, and He defines me! To Him, I have beauty beyond compare. And so do you! Whether you feel it right now or not, you are so beautiful. You might not see it right now, you might not feel it right now, but I pray you can see yourself the way He sees you, the way He made you, the way He defines you. He calls you beautiful, and lovely, and awe-inspiring, and captivating, and wonderful, and worth it, and stunning, and delightful, and pure, and strong, and brave, and confident. And, girl, that's exactly how He made you and that is who you are!

Whatever you may be going through and whatever you may have gone through in the past, or whatever is ahead, I believe you can make it, you can achieve your goals to be healthy. You are strong, you are beautiful, and you can do it. Never, ever, ever give up, and let Him tell you who you are! And if you need to, just go ahead and go say this to your mirror ... !

Sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me
Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you?
Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try,
I won't try.
You don't define me!

And after all that seriousness, I couldn't help but add this picture in light of the topic : )
Sorry for being so lengthy with this post, hopefully no one minds ... and I guess if you do, you probably didn't read it! haha.

And don't forget, Abbie at Foods That Fit is putting together a Blogger Cookbook (she's awesome, isn't she? ... such a great idea!) So check it out if you want to be apart of it and spread the news : )

Have a fabulous weekend ... may it be full of everything good!!!
(it's looks like mine might be full of cold weather and snow ... yuck!)

25 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Beautifully put...and I am so happy you wrote the words that you did. God sees us beautiful creatures that He put here...in his image in likeness. We are beautiful through His eyes...we should be beautiful through our own eyes.
    Thank you my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post and the poem. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a sweetheart and I appreciate this uplifting and encouraging post! I think it is something we can gather strength from whether we are struggling with an ED or any other personal issues! Have a great weekend! Thank you for spreading the word about the cookbook, you are very kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song and must confess that on days when I was feeling self conscious or anxious, I would go in my car, pop in this cd, and blare this song while I cried and prayed. I ALWAYS felt better after this.
    I think it made me realize that God allows us to have these struggling moments to relaize that we can not get through it without Him. When I was feeling my lowest, I would reach out to Him and I beleive that is the silver lining in having any kind of pain or hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a inspiring post! I was just reading a book about how we should face ourselves, and how our thoughts lead to our attitude, and our attitude leads to action and action leads to result that we see. So, in order to success or to achieve whatever we want, we need to have positive thoughts and every else just follow.

    have a nice weekend.
    I just added you to my blogroll (I can't believe I haven't yet)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesley, thanks for all the nice comments on my blog! And THANK YOU for the post about making greek yogurt down below. I want to go find some cheese cloth ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! Love the positivity. I think that all women struggle with body image sometimes, and those lyrics show just how stupid it is to place all our self-worth on a mirror.

    Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great weekend!
    love the cup & the song lyrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and what a sweet sweet post. So encouraging and inspiring! What an awesome promise we can hold on to! Thanks for that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I need to remind myself of some of those things... thank you!

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post! So inspiring and uplifting! Thanks for taking the time to write about this.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really loved this post girlie! You are always such an inspiration and always have a bright positive outlook on life. And that why I love ya :) Hope your having a great weekend dear <333

    ReplyDelete
  13. wAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! That picture of the kitten and the lion is just TOO cute!
    but on a more serious note...thank you, thank you, thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth, and it is SO refreshing. Yes indeed, who dare tell us otherwise when GOD made us perfect and beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous post! Thanks for you honesty and words. My younger sister has struggled with ED's for years and years, it is tough...but there is always hope. Thanks and YOU are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your green monster looks great! I'll have to try the spinach + banana combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post! I can totally relate to what you are talking about, and I have to remind myself of how God sees me everyday. I loved this post, and I'll be coming back to it. Thanks so much.

    Also, I just tried my first green monster yesterday morning, and I've had two more since! I also used spinach bc I had no kale. I did different combos for each, but my favorite had flax seed, spinach, banana, a little pb, blueberries, soy milk and ice! I'm so glad you liked yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How does that Truvia taste? Is it good? I loved your post. The words from the songs ring so true for so many. Hope the weather improves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for writing that post. especially the part at the end, sometimes i find myself focusing on the most ridiculous things, and if i were to step back and look at the big picture, id wonder what was wrong with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that was such a great posttt :) i sat here and read it all, it made me smile!
    especially that last picture, lol, it reminds me so much of my own kittens. 1 is still really small but he'll hide behind things that arnt covering him one bit and try to attack my other cat, hilarious. Hope you;re having a BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this post lesley!! that song is absolutely wonderful! I also love that you enjoy the cup, it was rather darling!

    Green monstah's are delicious if you get the right combo down!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard a segment on NPR this week (or now, last) about eating disorders. One point of discussion was regarding how some bloggers who address the issue actually end up encouraging disorders. I thought of you and this post and what a good job you did encouraging your readers. It's unfortunate that we as members of our society are given such horrible messages about beauty, body image, etc. (not to mention what we are encouraged to eat through advertisements) This is something that used to consume me. All I would think about was what I'd eaten, what I would eat, and I would fill my thinking time throughout my day with calculations of how many calories I'd consumed and how much I'd exercised, etc., etc. (of course this was in ancient times when I was in high school and college) Now, my mind is free to think on other things -- like how to give to others, how to bless my family, and what new adventure I"m going to embark upon. The only time I think about what I'm going to eat, or what I have eaten is simply to plan for dinner so evenings aren't crazy and stressful with husband and kids waiting in the sidelines. (my husband helps to cook, but generally, I cook and he cleans up after me -- what's better than that?!) Blessings - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so fun and always have such great advice! And just about made me cry at work! Your are awesome, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections