Thursday, February 26, 2009

How To Make Greek Yogurt

It's time for the weekend again, ya'll!!

I've had a few people ask me how I make my greek yogurt since posting it a few days ago, so I thought I would quickly post the "How To". It's actually very easy once you get it down pat (so don't let it scare you!) Note: Here is the orignal recipe I used, with a few minor differences.


How To Make Greek Yogurt

Ingredients/Things you Will Need:
-Stock pot that will fit a gallon of milk
-Thermometer (candy thermometer works nice because you can clip it to the side of your pot)
-Large colonder and bowl that it fits in
-Cheese cloth (or really thin towels/dish clothes)
-1 Gallon of milk (I use skim)
-Yogurt starter or about 1/2 cup (give or take a few) scoop of yogurt that already has live active cultures in it (such as Fage greek yogurt, or any other greek yogurt)

Directions:
1. Pour your milk into the stock pot and heat on low to medium until temperature reaches 185 degrees (stirring once in awhile to assure it doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pan).
2. Remove pan from stove top and let cool until the temperature reaches 105 degrees (meanwhile, set out yogurt starter or scoop of yogurt so that it's at room temperature)

3. When the milk has cooled down to 105 degrees, stir in your yogurt starter or scoop of yogurt (stir well).

4. Cover and place inside oven (that is off) and let sit for around 12 hours (overnight always works well for me) --Note: I have a gas oven, so it's always slightly warm inside, and placing it in the oven has always worked for me. I have heard of others turning on their digital oven to 100 degrees, or simply placing it in a fairly warm place in your house wrapped in blankets/towels where there will be no draft, or using heating pads.

5. When 12ish hours is up, the soupy milk mixture should have turned into a thicker, more custard looking substance. (There should be a layer of whey on top ... pour out as much as you can in the sink without pouring the yogurt out with it) Place your colander inside of your large bowl, and line the colander with cheese cloth.
6. Pour the now custard looking mixture into the cloth-lined colander, and pull up on all the edges of cloth and wrap it up as tight as you can.
7. Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours (the longer it's in the fridge in the cheese cloth, the thicker it'll become -- I typically leave mine in the fridge all day while I'm at work and when I get home, it's the perfect consistency for me

8. After the refrigeration, place in container/containers and enjoy with whatever you love in your greek yogurt : )

--- The first time I tried, it was a flop! My yogurt was just soup, haha. But I kept at it and it's gotten easier and easier and now it's a breeze. (And added bonus that it's so much cheaper than buying it and it tastes SO good!) So happy yogurt making, if you decide to try : )

28 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I was reading over your blog very quickly and I think I may have been mistaken. I was thinking of another book entitled "What on Earth am I here For?" by Rick Warren. (The book covers look similar). But I swear I have heard this book by your pastor mentioned before.
    What church do you go to if you don't mind me asking? My dad is a pastor at our church and I will mention this book to him and see if he can promote it to our congergation. (We are always looking for great reads to include in our church library)
    The book I was telling you about is called "One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life"
    By: Kerry Shook, Chris Shook
    Excellent read, trust me on this! We actually did a whole sermon series on this topic and it was truly fantastic.
    Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out that book now.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU SO MUCH :)
    i will hopefully save my parents a lot of money! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, I wondered how you made it. Want to include it in the blogger recipe book???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this! Wonderful idea! Weekend plans? not sure yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! I'd never thought of making this myself but I might have to try it out. I go through a medium container of greek yogurt every week, so this would probably save me some money. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, thank you for the Kreativ Blogger award!! :) Love you too!

    And I do NOT have any exciting weekend plans, WHICH IS SO EXCITING!!! haha. We have been out of town and busy every weekend for the past month and a half. This is our first/ only free weekend probably until April. So I am SO excited for a down weekend, and time to get caught up, organized, AND celebrate the hubs birthday a little (I guess that's exciting).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so cool that you make your own Greek yogurt!

    No plans this weekend other than going to see He's Just Not That Into You.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oohhh thank you thank you for the yogurt making post!!

    I wonder what the nutritionals are of home vs. store bought? maybe i can pry my professors for info!

    I want to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and I just got that Kreative award myself from Hangrypants- How did you get your photo to show up on your widgets/gadgets? I tried putting in the jpeg url but it didn't come up, i would mucho appreciate any help?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW thanks for this! I can't wait to try making my own greek yogurt because I seriously cannot live w/o em.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, thanks for sharing! There are absolutely no greek yogurt available where I am in stores!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so impressed with this recipe - excellent idea! And greek yogurt is not that easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so neat! now i just need to find the time and patience =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is ao awesome you make your own yogurt! I'm not ready to take that on yet.. but when I am, I am coming to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome!! I'd never had the patience for making it though... :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks soo good. YAY for the weekenddd :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is very impressive! I'm not sure I'm ready to take this on yet, but I'm going to bookmark it anyway in case I ever get the yogurt-making urge!!
    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. woww you are awesome! the yogurt looks so amazingggg nad i bet it will save you tons of moola!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your blog, love it!! The yogurt looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you so much for the detail instruction. It seems so easy. I'll definitely try it out. only one question, how much yogurt makes from one gallon of milk? and for how long you can keep it in fridge?

    plan for the weekend: hang out with my buddy, yoga, maybe work, some cooking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to give it a try.

    Going to a futebol game tonight and having fondue tomorrow night to celebrate my husbands birthday. Hope you have a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha- ill just buy mine. im lazy :)

    Boyfriend's show tonight, then im not sure!

    Kelly Turner
    www.everygymsnightmare.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for the recipe! You have such a fun blog. Probably just going out for a co-workers birthday tomorrow. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. humm, I might try, we get nice grrek yoghurt in the uk (the greek 'Total' yoghurt, the fage one indeed,but I suspect yours is so much better. Tried fromage blanc homemade in french farms and fell in love with it. Looks a lot of work, but also so gorgeous!!
    ah I need the courage to spend time...
    Thanks for sharing anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - this is great! I may never buy another tub of yogurt again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this recipe. I am going to try it. The directions are very explicit and coupled with your great pictures, I'm sure to succeed, uhhhhh, I think. Wish me luck.
    Marly

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for these instructions!! I'm trying my second attempt at this - the first time I messed up during the cheese cloth part. Your pictures made it seem really easy to wrap up... but I just ended up making a mess. I looked at someone else's instructions and they said to use three layers of cheese cloth and make sure they are big pieces!! A gallon off milk makes a lot of yogurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections