Thursday, February 5, 2009

How Much Do You Waste?

Happy Thursday!

I don't know about you, but I'm so glad that tomorrow is Friday! (and it's "jeans day" at work ... hooray!)

Here is what's in the oven right now at this very moment while I type and what also just so happens to be dinner ... I don't know what you'd call it ... Lemon Pepper Chicken with Coconut, perhaps? Basically, it's just some frozen chicken breasts with pepper, a the juice of a lemon, and some sprinkled unsweetened shredded organic coconut on top. I then put a lemon slice on each breast and added some veggies. I'll have to show a finished product tomorrow.

I read this is our most recent Mother Earth News magazine:

"A recent study from the University of Arizona shows that most people underestimate how much food they waste. For example, you might think you are tossing only about 1% of the food that goes through your kitchen, but the real number is probably closer to 15%. Some things get lost in the refrigerator no matter what you do but you can save money day after day by minimizing waste."

While Erik and I don't typically have problems with food going to waste -- (see our fridge the day before grocery shopping) -- I thought these were good ideas and we already do a few of them.

Tips on how to avoid wasting food:

- Use leftovers by combining them in mysteriously delicious wraps, omelets or soups.

-Make smoothies from fruit (or veggies!) that will soon be overripe. Ripe unpeeled bananas will turn black if you freeze the, but they will still be fine for smoothies. Turn overripe apples into spicy applesauce.

-Make your own stocks and broths from meat and vegetable trimmings. You can freeze stock in glass jars as long as you leave 2 inches of head space to allow for expansion.

-Freeze temporary overstocks of bread, including hard crusts or stale bread. Use them to make French toast, bread pudding, seasoned bread crumbs, or savory stratas.

-Clean our your refrigerator once every week. Eat, cook, or freeze anything that's worth saving.

-Declare periodic "food rest days" during which the head cook gets the day off, thus encouraging active refrigerator foraging by other household members.


Hope everyone has a very happy, very blessed, very lovely Friday! : )

11 comments:

  1. yay for jeans day at work! :)
    that chicken looks sooo good girlie! Hope your having a great night! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are soem great tips! I hate to admit I'm a food waster, so I need to be better about using everything before it goes bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum i have tons of coconut to use up! I love your wasting tips- i HATE wasting, i feel sooo bad...i'm a big fan of freezing stuff when I can't finish it b/c it's just me and the momz here :D Have a great weekend girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss casual Fridays! I work in a pretty stuffy office now, so no jeans a all. :(

    That chicken sounds good! I would have never thought to put coconut on chicken.

    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dinner looks so good!

    I love those ways to save the leftovers! I definately do the banana one for smoothies .. because I always buy a lot at a time and then they start getting bad! .. I'm definately going to try those other tricks too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I always freeze my bread! -lol-
    And thanks for such great tips.

    Your dinner looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate wasting food. Which can be bad because sometimes I'll eat things that I shouldn't just so it won't go to waste.

    Thanks for telling me about your job. I work in the billing department for a doctors office so when you said you worked for an insurance company I was curious...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dinner looks great- nice pre-cooking presentation! Those are great tips for not wasting food. We do pretty well but sometimes leftovers do end up walking into the trash can. Have a great on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dinner looks delicious!

    Thanks for the tips. We eat a lot of leftovers either for dinners later in the week or packed for lunch, but it still seems like a lot out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your dinner looks amazing!!!!

    Thanks for the tips! I hate wasting food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES YES YES! I'm so glad someone is finally speaking out against wasting food...I see food being wasted all the time around me! I hate that, so I always buy minimal produce...and end up having to stop by the supermarket almost every single day! (oh well, I love grocery shopping anyway)
    Oh and yummy chicken! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections