Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kale Chips & Greasy Food

The weekend went by quick! But for some reason, I don't even mind that tomorrow is Monday and it's back to work. It was a cold weekend, too and it's supposed to warm up this week. This is the kind of weather I'm ready for:I reminded myself this weekend, on Saturday night, why I enjoy eating healthy so much. Ha, my husband and I literally really haven't had any greasy, processed or fried foods in over six months. So last night, we were planning on cooking pasta but my husband really didn't feel like having it so we decided we would go out to eat instead. Well, for some reason we decided to splurge and eat bad. We're really not even sure why other than we felt like it. So, we went to a Chinese buffet. And we ate way too much and of course it was all really greasy, and fried and processed! Since we were eating bad, I just really went for it and I made two trips to the food bar and even had some nasty buffet dessert (but it tasted good at the time, haha).

Upon waking up this morning I learned my lesson. I felt stuffed, gross, disgusting, and extremely lethargic.

What I remembered this weekend that somehow I had forgotten due to simply being used to eating healthy:
  • Eating healthy makes me feel great.
  • Eating healthy gives me energy.
  • Eating healthy makes me feel better about myself.
  • Eating greasy/fatty foods make me feel gross.
  • Eating greasy/fatty foods makes me feel fat.
  • Eating greasy/fatty foods makes me want to be lazy and lay in bed all day.
Go figure, right?? haha.

Moving on ...Today was a great day! We started our day off by going to church (the very best way to start off a good Sunday : ). We came home, ate a little bit and then went to Starbucks and drank some tea and talked. (We have a gift card there to use up;) We then went and bought a few groceries. One of the things I came home with was some flowering kale. Yum! So, I decided to make kale chips for the first time, and was not disappointed. I sprinkled some olive oil and Parmesan on them and put them in the oven on around 375 for about 15 minutes. At first it was kind of weird, because it's really just like you're eating crunchy leaves ... ha, but they're very good crunchy leaves and very good for you, too! : )

Tonight, we had chicken
Parmesan fettuccine and frozen strawberry cereal bars for dessert ... with pictures coming tomorrow!

And now I'm sipping a cup of
sugar cookie Celestial tea about to get ready for bed.

Anyone excited for Monday?

28 comments:

  1. Definitely a quick weekend!!

    I'm waiting for that kind of weather too - hopefully it'll appear soon!! I'm sick of snow :-(

    KALE CHIPS!!! Holy yum goodness.


    Have a lovely evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE kale chips!

    I'm looking forward to Monday, but not the weather. :( We're supposed to get a foot of snow in NYC. I usually like snow but I'm pretty ready for that nice spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made kale chips...to be honest I am a bit scared! I think I might prefer them in my green monsters. :) But I *should* try it at least once!

    I now look forward to Mondays ever since leaving my job...haha. It sounds bad, but I am finally pursuing my passions and I really do look forward to Mondays now and all that I want to accomplish for the week ahead! It is a nice feeling. I used to dread Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful kale! I'm glad you liked the chips! I made them once and thought they were good at first, then I thought they were too bitter. I should try them again when the farmers market opens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those kale chips look awesome!

    ...I'm not looking forward to Monday. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kale chips looks excellent. I'm definitely going to make those. A snow day for us tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What.... Kale chips, those sounds awesome. I love checking out your blog for new recipes, you always have something interesting and healthy! Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kale Chips? Never did hear of such a thing? How does one make Kale Chips? Do you have a patch of land? Kale is easy to grow and keeps growing and growing and growing. Amazing. I'll try this as soon as my new kale is ready (in cold frames now).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also feel so bad physically and mentally after I eat crappy food. But once is done, I learned to get over it and have a detoxing day! :D it works for me and fortunately I'm doing less often.
    The kale chips look so good... but yes, it looks like you're eating leaves! haahha.. :D
    monday plan? not much, stay at home and try to work because we have a snow storm here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yah! You tried the kale chips! I had the exact same thought as you at first; it was a tad "weird" but then I kept eating and realized how good they were. (Especially with lots of ketchup! :)

    Glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried kale before, does it taste like cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ughhh I feel the same way when we go out and eat bad! It is a nice reminder to eat healthy ;) Dinner sounds yum-o! I haven't tried the kale chips- they sound great. Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of kale chips! They look sooo good though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhh dont tease me with that gorgeous picture! haha. I WISH it looked like that outside right now.

    I love the list of reasons for eating healthy, because they are all true. Of course, its ok to stray a little every now and then (especially for chinese) as long as you know your healthy roots! haha.

    Hope your having a great start to the week. love you lots! <333

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally know what you mean about eating unhealthy food and feeling terrible! It definitely never fails to remind me why I love eating well.

    I just bought some kale last night to have in my green monsters this week...now I guess I'll have to try baking it. Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like the only blogger who hasnt tried kale! frozen strawberry cereal bars??? now that is something i have never heard of - what brand do you use???

    thank you so much for our sweet comment about my boy trouble - that quote really put into perspective how love involves taking risks, which I realize are very much worth it =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to eat healthy too, but I believe in splurging:) It is good for the soul:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly how you feel about eating junk when you've gone so long about it. I am almost afraid to not eat healthy now because I know it will end up making me sick - and I do not want to feel crappy. I feel so much better when I eat well and that feeling motivates me to keep making the better choices. Same goes with alcohol too - I never drink anymore. When I do, I feel so awful the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never tried kale chips...sounds interesting.
    There is a famous Indian restaurant in DC (Rasika) that had a fried spinach salad on the menu: amazing!

    I took this Monday off b/c of the snow...so I'm happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the comment about the bagels! its a good thing i don't make them too often because i could honestly eat them for every meal!! :) kale chips look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great Sunday! I so know what you mean about eating unhealthy foods. I hate that heavy, bloated lethargic feeling I get from eating the "bad" stuff. The taste of it is really not worth the feeling it gives me.

    Hope youre enjoying your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, a Chinese buffet is a great reminder of why we love to eat heathly. :) I love it when I have a Starbucks gift card to use up. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm intrigued by the frozen strawberry cereal bars! The kale chips sound delicious. I really enjoy kale, I mostly put it in soups, and haven't ever thought to try it this way. The color on yours is so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. dang! What a delicious sounding tea!! Sugar cookie tea?!??!?! yum!!

    Sorry about that bad Chinese food buffet! I NEVER go to Chinese buffet's in the US (Precisely because I'm Chinese) because like you said, they're SO processed, so much fried stuff, and most of it isn't even Chinese. GAHHHH. No more Chinese buffet's for you!! Where do you live?? Maybe there are some authentic Chinese restaurants in the neighborhood that are healthier and tastier!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. HA! I WISH it looked like that outside...sadly its snow :\

    im sorry you feel so icky after dinner! feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i really enjoy kale chips! I just got some more kale today to make them! :) great minds think alike!

    And those strawberry bars are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh man, I can't lie...Chinese buffet would not gross me out! I would totally over-do it and feel bad afterward though. At least you indulged and then remembered how great you feel when you eat non-greasy foods. Lesson learned ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections