Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chicken Pine Nuts Veggie Soup and Herb Garden

Happy Weekend!

Hope it's going well for you all. It's snowing here ... gross!! It certainly doesn't feel like Spring that's for sure! But the good news is that it IS Spring, so the good weather is bound to come soon!

Last night with the impending snow and cold, and taking into consideration we had a bunch of fresh veggies that needed used up, soup was only fitting! I basically threw a bunch of things into a pot and came up with a delicious Chicken Pine Nut Veggie Soup.
For the majority of my "broth" I first brought some water to a boil and put in a couple tea bags. Then I put some chicken breasts on a skillet to cook. While I let the tea bags soak, and the chicken cook, it was veggie chopping time!

After that, I can't much tell you how much of anything I put in, but I can tell you what all I put in so here were the majority of the ingredients (assuming I don't forget any) ...
-Chopped chicken chicken breasts
-Chopped sweet potato
-Carrots
-Onions
-Green Pepper
-Brussels
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Portobello Mushrooms
-1 can garbonzo beans
-Brown rice
-Tons of different seasonings/spices, ha ... I think I almost literally put a little bit of just about every spice/herb I had in my cupboard ... it doesn't sound like that could work, but I did it and it worked for me! ha. The ones I can think of are: onion powder, sea salt, pepper, garlic & herb, southwest chipotle, red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic powder, and, yes, even just a dash of cinnamon
-Fresh chopped cilantro
-Raw Pine Nuts and a few raw cashews

Conclusion:
My husband and I both ended up pretty happy with this odd mix/combination and I would definitely make it again. How did the pine nuts taste in the soup? Surprisingly good! I'd never put nuts in soup before and just thought, why not? and it actually added a nice flavor and small crunch to certain bites that just really seemed to work. All the ingredients turned out to be very flavorful.

Here's mine topped with some shredded fat free cheese: I forgot to mention this but a couple months ago my mother-in-law gave us a little "herb garden" set. Ha, it was kinda funny because a little boy was going door-to-door by her house selling them (it was a little project he'd put together with his dad) so she couldn't help but buy one. Anyways, she knew we'd like it so we started our "herb garden". (Ha, it even came with the lovely paint job and all ; )
And now ... here it is at our windowsill just about needed re-potted into something bigger ... hooray! (Excuse the bad photos!) Now, Erik is cooking dinner (and it smells SO good!) and we're about to eat and watch some movies : )

Hope the duration of your weekend is WONDERFUL!! : )

42 comments:

  1. Looovely soup ingredients and herb garden!!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend - hope the snow goes away soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup sounds so good...especially on a cold day like today!! I love pine nuts!

    And what a cute little herb garden:)

    Have a great rest of the weekend...we're about to watch movies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like good soup, I'm impressed that you came up with that recipe on the fly. (I wish I could do that!)

    That herb garden is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I totally want that soup!
    And awwwh, an adorable herb garden!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that looks GREAT :)

    have a great time relaxing and watching movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy soup!! I like making random ingredients kind of soup! I feel so artistic! :D

    that herb garden looks so good! I bet they make delicious dishes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. pine nuts in soup? i've never thought about that, but sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pine nuts..and putting them in soup is so creative!

    Can't believe it's snowing there! Spring needs to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup sounds incredible! I love your use of the pine nuts in the soup! Making broth with tea bags is such a brilliant idea!! I'm so impressed! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is SO cute! I have rosemary and basil outside my backyard- i am dying to grow more- how good are fresh herbs in like, any dish!?? Have a lovely weekend friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummmmmmmmm! Thanks for another lovely recipe!
    Love the herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun combination of ingredients in this delicious-looking soup! Love the addition of pine nuts - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice little garden! :-) Can't believe the snow. So glad I left that behind. Of course, it's getting to be humid as all heck here in Florida. I swear, in the summer I feel like I could just melt right onto the sidewalk some days. I can't complain though - No more shoveling snow and scraping ice off my car in the freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great herb garden! Growing your own ingredients always makes thing taste better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this soup sounds great with the tea and the pineuts! I can't wait until its time to start my herb garden.... just a few more weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome soup creation!

    Boy in the Striped pajamas WAS quite the movie...but I would recommend it too! Can't believe that ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your soup sounds so good! I am so not good at just throwing things together for a recipe and actually making it work!

    I like your little herb garden too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had pine nuts on top of pasta before, but never in soup - that sounds wonderful! And what a GREAT idea to use tea bags for broth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. dannng that veggie soup is original AND delicious looking!!! How creative Lesley. :) You got some innovative chef genes in ya! i also love that home herb garden. Good thing I dont have one...my plants would die really quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the herb garden, and the soup looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your herb garden! My dad planted me a little herd garden last year and it came to use so much throughout the summer. I love being able to walk out back and tear off some fresh basil or oregeno to add to my meals.

    I can't wait to see what hubby made for dinner. Mine treated me to one the best best meals last night! I love a man in the kitchen, nothing is sexier. :)

    Have a great week hun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to plant an herb garden, I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hang in there with the weather! I hope the cold doesn't last too much longer where you live.

    I love the herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We got a lot of snow too. Not fun. Love your herb garden. If it would ever turn spring we could start planting our garden, but not yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. great soup! I freakin love pine nuts...what an original recipe and it looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man, I always wished I could grow my own herbs, but I think either I'm too lazy or I would kill them, haha. I end up resorting to dried most of the time. Looks like your soup was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  27. that soup looks so good! i'm so sorry about the snow - I am such a baby about cold weather, but I can see how that soup would be really soothing with the snowy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your soup sounds so good! It reminds me of indian flavors with the sweat peas and the tea, it would be really good with chickpeas and curry I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I meant to say sweet potatoes...I guess I really want to eat peas today haha!

    ReplyDelete
  30. that soup looks delish and what an ADORABLE herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  31. ah cool! i've been talking about doing my own herb garden but keep forgetting to buy the plants LOL. i am adding that to my mental to-do list right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. sorry about the snow...ill absorb some extra sun here for you on the west coast

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the addition of the pine nuts. I also make soup in your way - this would taste good - throw it in! Next time, pine nuts! I love your herb garden! Just started seeds. Snow is coming tomorrow so it will be awhile before anything goes outside.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It snowed here too Saturday! It was quite a shock. The soup looks so good. Hope you enjoyed your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i love your herb garden! how cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love my little herb garden too! :) :) yours is adorable!

    that soup sounds amazing! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Snowing at the end of March? That's ridiculous :)

    I love the addition of pine nuts to the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh cool idea for soup! and how cute for that little boy! Herbs add so much great flavor, that is really a great thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your herb garden- how cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections