Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our Kitchen Staples

As I was thinking about a few grocery items I needed to pick up after work the other day, I was thinking about the food staples in our house, the things that we mostly always have around.

We eat pretty "clean" and basically most of the time only eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, healthy fats, lean meat, fiber-filled foods and we try to eat things as minimally processed as possible.

I think a good goal in living a healthy lifestyle is "Eat close to the ground and move". I actually heard my pastor say that once randomly in a sermon ... I don't remember what the sermon was about, but I've always remembered that statement. (Meaning eat things close to their natural state when possible and don't live a sedentary lifestyle, but stay active! ... I'm not insinuating you should sit on the ground when you eat while moving around or anything like that ; )

Anyways, here are some of our food staples:

Fruits:
(fruits vary so much depending on the time of year so this is hard to say but I'll do my best)
--Apples
--Bananas
--Grapefruit
--Oranges

--
Lemons

fruit
Veggies:
--Onions
--Peppers
--Brussels
--Bags of frozen veggies
--Tomatoes
--Spinach
--Carrots
--Sweet Potatoes
--Mushrooms

New Image

Healthy Fats:
--Peanut butter
--Natural almonds
--Olive Oil
--Coconut Oil

healthy fats

Meats:
--Some type of fish; i.e. can of tuna in water, salmon fillets
--93% or higher ground turkey
--chicken breasts

meat 

Whole Grains:

--brown rice
--whole wheat pasta
--sprouted grain bread
--beans (garbanzo, black, pinto)
--old fashioned oats

grain

 Dairy Items:
--Greek yogurt (**click here for recipe)
--2% cheese
--Farm fresh eggs
--Skim milk (only to make yogurt, we rarely ever drink it)
--Almond Milk (I know, it's not dairy but since it's milk, I'm leaving it under dairy)

half-dozen-eggs

Seasonings/Condiments:
--Mustard
--Honey mustard
--Heinz low carb ketchup
--Balsamic vinegar
--Red white vinegar
--Cinnamon
--Onion powder/garlic powder
--Minced garlic
--Variety of Mrs. Dash spices (because they have no salt)
--Sea salt
--Pepper
--Turmeric
--Chili powder

Basil_2

 Other Miscellaneous things:
--Tea (**we both drink anywhere from 1-3 cups of hot tea per day and it's usually black or green tea)
--Some type of Stevia sweetener 
--Agave nectar


I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but there's a basic idea. Apart from those staples, I basically just buy other items if I'm going to make a certain recipe that calls for something I don't already have, or we'll buy other items based on what's on sale, etc.

Questions or comments on how we eat any of these items or what we use them for, etc ... or anything else?? Just ask : )

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL day!!

45 comments:

  1. Great list of food staples! I always love seeing the creative, healthy meals you are able to come up with using these foods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's so fun to virtually get a sense of what other people's pantries are like!
    I am a big tea person as well and I have the same issue with sweeteners. I know I should probably try to drink it without, but it just tastes sooo much better with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I always try to have a good assortment of healthy foods in the house, makes it much easier to come up with weeknight meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was JUST looking at YOUR post, and your fruits and VEGGIES!! It does depend on the season. I look forward to the fall for the Honey Crisp Apples and the Spaghetti and Butternut Squash. I love the Summer for all the Abundance of Veggies! We are Blessed!

    Meat? Hubby just gets what he wants and I either fix it however *I* want him to eat it or he grills it. ha!
    Leslie
    LeslieVeg@msn.com
    http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, great list! I will have to consult it before I go to the store next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great staples! Sounds like the food in our house! Even better, the bible verse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! I think it's so great that you're getting your family into healthy eating habits... it really shapes their whole life and THEIR own eating habits in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! So many great foods listed to choose from. I always love getting ideas from other people's regular foods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post! I loved the list. I am so bad at making lists when I go to the grocery store! I need to be better! I used several things from your list to start on for the commissary today. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great list of foods, I have a very similar one. I try it make it more seasonal for fruits and veggies because they're fresher, cheaper and more natural for our body to digest! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a very similar "staple" list. I think I spend 80% of my grocery bill on produce and fresh foods each week.

    We do always keep at least one small cartin of frozen yogurt in the freezer at all times in case of emergencies. We have a Friday night ice cream tradition every week, so I have to be sure to keep this on hand. :)

    Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This list is great!!!

    I don't have a list, but do keep most of items that are on on your list in stock in my kitchen.

    Fresh produce is what I spend most of my grocery $$$ on, but I try to buy what is in season and then if there is a great sale on something, I buy a lot and freeze it, like bananas or strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list and should create a very balanced diet. My pantry/fridge today is pretty bare, as I'm trying to use up every single ingredient I have before our spring break vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list of staples, mine is quite similar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's an awesome list! I probably only have a quarter of it at my place at a time :)

    I have something for you on my blog (in about 20 minutes).

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a healthy grocery list! This is something I need to work on... less processed foods.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious as to how you use the coconut oil? isn't it really strong-tasting?
    my MUST have staples in the kitchen = pumpkin, sweet potatoes, potatoes, EGGS, cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, cinnamon, OATS, black pepper. If I'm low/out of any of these, I go absolutely crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the nice comment Lesley. My wife and I are trying to eat God made foods, not man made your blog is very motivational. I'm excited about some of your recipes. BTW, your husband has a great testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous quote from your pastor- I love it! AWESOME list! You know I am all for this (especially those brussels....maybe you should put brussels on the list twice ;). Thank you so much for posting this! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list, mine is pretty similiar, except for fish, neither me or my boyfriend like it very much although we've decided to try some different kinds soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! It looks to me like you eat REALLY clean!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list!! I always have to have veggies or I get so anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ah thanks so much for this post! Since i am moving i'm going to need a completely new set of kitchen staples so this helped me so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you know where to buy Agave nectar??

    I've been wanting to try that??

    ReplyDelete
  25. My list looks very much the same. I also buy cottage cheese on a regular basis - I love the stuff. And I need my oats for breakfast, along with walnuts and frozen berries to mix in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your food philosophy. Mine is pretty similar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your list. I see lots of my favorite things and some new items to try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for this list! what a variety of wonderful, healthy foods! i like to keep many of these in my kitchen as well, but am running a little low at the moment! tonight will be a big grocery shop night for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you so much for posting this! its actually really helpful for me! I completely agree with your food philosophy of trying to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible - the less processed the better =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like a well stocked kitchen! We always have tons of fruit and veggies on hand. Right now I am loving the citrus and grapes and of course apples. I have to have one every day!! We don't eat meat, but our kitchen is about the same with everything else. Except my hubby is allergic to nuts, so I have to keep those just for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the bible verse and the quote :"Eat close to the ground and move". I need to follow those guidelines more often! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome list! I'm trying my best to eat things that aren't to "processed." Not sure how well I'm doing at this point but hey, I'm a work in progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. those are all of my staples as well!!! except the sweetners, but no worries on that- i would try those if I wanted to because they do seem like healthier choices.

    ReplyDelete
  34. first time here..nice blog n nice recipec n nice list!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lesley, I've passed on an award to you.
    Here's the link

    http://helensjourney.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/sisterhood-award/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Girl, I love this post. Its always great to have those "staples", and a lot of those are mine too. I can not wait until summer and all of the farmers markets sell fresh fruits and veggies for cheap! It always makes me happy.

    Thanks so much for the encouragement on the job search. You are too sweet! love ya girl, have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I REALLY like your pastor's saying! So simple and so true.
    I like this post--I agree that fruits are hard to stock this time of year but that is changing quickly! Yay Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  38. great list- almost identical to my staples, too

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love that quote from your pastor. Simple, with so much meaning! The bible verse really spoke to me today too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great post! I think it's so interesting to see what other people eat/buy. Your eating habits always really encourage me!

    Also, thanks so much for your encouraging comment about my job possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  41. love your food staples :)
    your right, its best to eat as clean as possible so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Perfect list. And everything on it is so healthy too!! I wish I was as health conscious, have to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Excellent View!Great Article.This is possible only we have a good quality cabinets in the Kitchen.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections