Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fruit & Freedom

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent".
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hello everyone!

This weekend has gone by really fast for me ... ha, I'm still not sure where it went.

I'm just sitting here on a nice Sunday afternoon eating a fresh fruit salad (yum ... it has freshly sliced cantaloupe, strawberries, half of a pear, and blueberries. I was feeling like some leafy greens for some reason so I added a little bit of kale just for fun). Anyways, while I'm eating this, I've been thinking. For reasons I won't exactly get into, this weekend has been kinda tough for me. But it's also made me think and that's a good thing ; )

I've always been a very shy and mostly quiet person. And though I didn't always realize it, I'm very much a people pleaser. I don't ever want to do anything that upsets anyone. It sounds horrible to me for something I do or something I say to make someone upset or disappointed in me. I never want to disappoint anyone even a little bit by anything I do, and if someone's feelings of disappointment are because of me, I feel SO bad. And if someone is doing something they don't necessarily want to do, but they're doing it for me anyways, I feel really bad as well. Along with this, I've always gotten my feelings hurt VERY easily. (Ha, just ask my family and/or my husband!!)

I feel like it's hard to explain because it can affect so many areas of life and how I interact with people. It makes me afraid and self-conscious to do something in front of someone I don't know because I'm afraid the way I do it won't be the way they expect me to do it and then they'll think less of me. Now, when I reason this out in my head I realize none of this is true and my common sense of course tells me it's not true. But those feelings always seem to take over and I listen to the negative voices in my head telling me that I'm not good enough, or that someone else is better so why try, or that everything is my fault, etc etc.

Anyways, all that being said I've realized some things lately ... it's impossible to please everyone and not everyone is always going to like what I do ... and that's okay! I feel like this has hindered me from becoming me and finding what I'm passionate about because I've been so busy trying to make everyone else around me happy and not disappointing anyone. I let people control me by trying to always, always please them and taking words they haven't even meant in a mean way and twisting them all around in my head and beating myself up for something.

Which brings me to the above quote ... "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I love that. Anyways, there's an honest, short synopsis of what I've been thinking about this weekend. I'm becoming more and more conscious of where I let others define me by trying to be who others want me to be. But I feel VERY done doing that. I'm ready to be me! In many aspects with God's help and my husband's help I feel like I'm becoming just that ... and this blog helps because a lot of people I know read it and suddenly, I don't care what they think! (And thanks for reading all you people I know!! ; ) Out of fear, I would normally not want to be so open about anything in my life, even about all the food my husband and I eat, haha, but I'm just done caring and it feels great. I feel like I have, in some ways for the first time in my life, found something (healthy eating, nutrion, etc) that I am passionate about and enjoy doing just because I enjoy it.

It reminds me of a song we just recently starting singing at church called "The Living Tree" written by the worship leader at our church, Eric Stark. Part of it says:

"Let’s live each day on God’s good earth
In the wonder of each new days birth
Let the sun shine hot upon your face
Be fully alive in God’s good grace
Be fully alive in God’s good grace.
"

That's what I want to do and it's what I'm on the road to doing : ) No matter what, there is always hope in Jesus ... not empty, fleeting or fake hope, but REAL hope for REAL life, for REAL situations. And because of this, despite the rough spots I can truly say that I love this journey of life! : )

This week I plan to freely "live each day on God's good earth in the wonder of each new day's birth. I'll let the sun shine hot upon my face and be fully alive in God's good grace!"

Thanks
to everyone who actually read all of this, and may you let the sun shine hot upon your face and be fully alive in God's good grace : )


37 comments:

  1. I know where you're coming from, I'm totally a people pleaser too - I can be very emotional and worry a little too much about what others think. The fruit looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley-

    This was a great post for me to read today, thank you. I can't tell you how much I identify with what you had to talk about.

    I have a very hard time telling others no and feel guilty if I do. I also tend to over think and rehash conversation/events because I can worry too much about what others think.

    I have let stronger personalities make me feel inferior and doubt my ability to do certain things. I love the quote that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

    I really appreciate your honesty. Sometimes I look at other bloggers, co-workers etc. and think, wow they have it so together and it comes so easily. I feel better knowing I am not the only one!

    Exactly what I needed to hear today! Thank you Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley, this post is so powerful - seriously, AMEN to everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley- you are incredible. I'm sorry this weekend was tough, but it sounds like you have some really wonderful thoughts coming out of it. Keep it up chica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great week coming up--good luck with your goal of living freely. I'm sure it'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you realized that you can be YOU and not who others want you to be.
    It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? so liberated so in love with yourself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be like that, but since working in the retail industry I came out of my shell a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. I can totally relate to how you feel because I always walk on eggshells to please everyone, and when I make someone upset it really hits hard. I actually just had such an occurrence, and this post really helped me! Thanks for the positive outlook dear! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts! I think by expressing these thoughts, you are already doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post :) Keep truckin girl you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I can so relate to this. I tend to be very quiet myself, most of the time. If I know you well, and I am comfortable with you, then I feel comfortable chatting freely. But toss in people I don't know, put me out in a crowd - and I just worry so much what people are going to think about me. And I always expect them to think poorly of me. And I am super hyper sensitive about other peoples feelings as well. I think I am a bit shy in general, but I also think that, because I got made fun of so much when I was a kid (for being overweight) I just expect people to be harsh with me - so I avoid them. I am working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your post! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen girl! I too often feel overwhelmed with the constant need to please everyone and when I feel that I haven't meet that even in the slightest way, I get very discouraged. It's definitely not healthy and I've realized that in almost every instance, my own expectations are what actually are not met, not anyone else!
    Keep strong in those words and always remember how beautiful, strong and intelligent you are. The people in you life love you because of the woman you are!
    Thanks for the inspiring words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Lesley, I can completely agree with your post. It echos many thoughts I have had recently. Namely for me, I have been thinking so much lately about my future/ career/ what I want to do and who I am, and how I am always trying to please others with that. Which makes me compare my life to others, feel down on myself and even harbor unreasonable frustrations against people who have no idea what's going on in my crazy head! Anyway, I completely agree. You are free to be you (Francesca Battistelli song -- the one about a dent in a fender?? Yeah...perfect song for this situation!).

    Love you girl! Let me know if you'd ever be interested in doing an online Bible study together (Beth Moore - Believing God). Something I've been thinking about doing for a little while!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same way...I am learning that I can't make everyone happy (even though it kills me). It's a slow process, but by the grace of God, I'll get there!

    Love & prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh lesley, i can soo much relate to how you feel. I walk on eggshells around so many people, and worry about what I say, or said, or will say! It's exhausting! It's so true that we just need to take it one day at a time, and BE ourselves and be proud! :D Thank goodness we have our faith and those special people in our lives to support us, hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've always been a huge people pleaser! And I've always cared so much about what people think of me and was always trying to make everyone happy. (I still do that.) And boy do I get my feelings hurt way too easily. But you're right at the end of the day you CAN'T please everyone. It will take me a long time to learn this.

    Thanks for sharing this post. I am sorry you had a hard weekend, but I am glad that you had time to think and now know what you want your life to be. That's fantastic! I hope this week is a wonderful week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this was an amazing post. thank you so much for writing abotu this. I feel like this relates to so many people, you are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am SO extremely sensitive and am also worried all of the time about hurting other people's feelings - it's exhausting! :-) I'm learning, like you, that it's okay to say no. We have to in order to keep our sanity! Hang in there...I hope things get better here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible post, Lesley. I'm also a people pleaser and can relate to a lot (if not all) of the things you said. Congratulations on getting to the place where you're willing to make yourself a priority. That's a huge step.

    ReplyDelete
  21. great post...I admire you for being so open and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's something I've had to learn also, you can't please everyone! It's impossible. So for me, I've decided that the most important people in my life is my family... those are the people I work to please.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a Sweetie..I am like you always worried of others opinions, but an event happened in my life that makse me realize who really counts .. They are the ones we should worry about. Ask yourself if theperson you are worried about will matter to you in20 years, answer probably no. So rejoice in yourfamily and close friends, and those new close friends, and screw everyone else. Life's too short and too hard.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Lesley! I LOVED your post! I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth (If I were explaining myself!) Your post really spoke to me, and I'm gonna work on that myself! Sheesh! I wish we lived closer friend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a great post. I'm very similiar in this way, so I was happy to come across this during a kind of tough morning at work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very delicious looking fruit salad. Sure this salad will make me less worry about anything, and feel good.
    Cheers,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think you nailed it on the head when you say, "Do what makes you happy" and don't worry about what other people think!!

    I am very much a people pleaser and put other peoples needs in front of mine, and I am trying to get out of that rut too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is one of my mom's favorite quotes and I think it is so true. I am in a similar place this week with trying to please everyone and it is driving me mad. Really, life is too short to live this way! Thank you for that reminder. I hope you feel a bit better after eating that AMAZING looking salad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just LOVE reading all your posts...they're all so inspiring and heart-lifting and FUll of the joy and peace of the Holy Spirit...thank you for sharing your insights with us!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I just love love love this post! The quote is so great and so true. I've always been a bit of a people pleaser myself, although as I near the big 4-0, I'm finding that my thirties brought a lot more contentment and I care a great deal less about what people think. Thanks for sharing such a personal and inspirational post!
    btw...the salad looks so yummy! Just the way I like it, with lots of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i know what you mean, and it can be both a blessing and a curse to be so sensitive to the needs/wants of others...i enjoyed this post a lot, and i am glad you are so uplifting in your reflective moments.

    happy monday, love!

    ReplyDelete
  32. btdubs, just added you to my blog roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know what you meant in this whole post, in terms of being a people pleaser and being sensitive. There are way too many times that I catch myself sacrificing my own sanity/happiness/well-being for that of another person’s…almost as if I don’t value myself. I can twist any comment or remark in my head into being hurtful – its really hard to change this thought process, but it seems like you have such a great attitude and support system. Thanks for much for posting this – it really made me do some reflecting =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. mmmm that salad!!! i love all things fresh! fresh salad, lots of fruit, yum yum yum!

    i definitely can relate to a LOT of the things you said here, and i'm glad that you are doing things that YOU care about and love. no one defines you but YOU, and you are fab. end of story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm another one that likes to please people(maybe everyone does). And I would say it has held me back at times. I'm trying hard to not worry about what people think but instead living my life focusing on what Jesus thinks because as I can tell you already know, that is what is most important!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can certainly identify. It's wonderful that you can recognize this about yourself and hopefully you will draw strength from it from now on. I hope to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there,
    stumbled onto your blog from another and was nosy about the religion in the list. I am glad I found this particular write-up.
    Like many of the people above, I can relate.
    Today, I needed some reminding and your words were just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections