Monday, March 16, 2009

Mashed Sweet Potatoes With A Twist

Happy Monday evening/Tuesday!!!!!!!

(I think it should be a happy Monday evening/Tuesday, hence all the exclamation points ; )

Wow ... I was amazed, encouraged, and blessed by all the feedback from the previous post. You are all so great and if you could relate, just look at the comments from yesterday, you're not alone!! : ) Ha, so many of you when adding things about yourself described me exactly and put things into words exactly how I was thinking them! I was surprised at how many of you completely related. So anyways, thanks for all your feedback : )

Well, to do a little weekend recap ... unfortunately I didn't get many good picture of our eats (and we sort of splurged this weekend and ate bad more than we should have!). Buuut one thing of note that we had with dinner Friday night was Mashed Sweet Potatoes With a Twist.Ingredients:
-1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
-3/4 lb sweet potatoes cubed (I used two medium sized sweet potatoes)
-1 medium head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
-1/2 cup greek yogurt
-1/4 cup almond milk

Directions:
-Place potatoes and cauliflower in a pot or large skillet, cover with water and let boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until very tender. Drain well.
-Combine garlic, potatoes, cauliflower, greek yogurt, and almond milk into a food mixture and pulse until smooth. Remove, serve, and enjoy : )

Also, Delicious Fresh Fruit Salad:
Ingredients:
-Half of a cantaloupe
-6 large strawberries
-1 pear
-1 apple
-1 banana
-Large handful of blueberries
-1 cup greek yogurt
-1/4 cup almonds

Directions:
-Chop all fruit into bite sized pieces, place in large bowl, add yogurt and almonds, mix together, refrigerate and enjoy.

And finally, here was lunch today: 1 cup brown rice with a can of tuna, some shredded fat free cheese, two spoonfuls of leftover mashed sweet potatoes, sliced mushrooms, with a little bit of spinach and kale, topped with three red ripe strawberries.Hope your week has started well!! : )

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength."
-Charles Haddon Spurgeon

23 comments:

  1. I may or may not...ok I totally did...have mashed potatoes for breakfast today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! I'm having mashed sweet potatoes this week too. I like how you cut them with cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All foods I love- sweet tatoes and fruit salad! I love the special touches you added to the sweet potatoes- I need to give this a go. Hope you're having a good night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Les,
    Your sweet potatoes have me absolutely floored!!! It is something I have never ever thought to to!!! But in my head I know it will taste Delish!!!!

    It's an "OMGosh, why didn't I think of that!"
    I am sooo going to try this!!!
    Leslie
    LeslieVeg@msn.com
    http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, mashed sweet potatoes are my favorite! I like your twist. I will have to try adding some vanilla soy milk to mine next time, that sounds fabulous.

    Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, the mashed potatoes and the fruit salad both look awesome! Great job, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sweet potatoes! I am going to have to try that! The fruit salad looks awesome too!

    PS- I added you to my Link Love since you are my blogger friend and name-sharer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley, looks like your week is off to a great start!! Sweet potatoes look especially yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous tuna and brown rice and sweet potato combo!!!! Love it :)
    I am so glad your week is off to a wonderful start, my love :)
    Happy Monday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love mashed sweet potato!
    that fruit salad looks delicious too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet potatoes and fruit is a win win combo!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your additions of cauliflower and greek yogurt and almond milk to sweet potatoes - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, my hubs loves sweet potatoes, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, I have got to get some sweet taters and cauliflower, 'cause as you already know, I love them both! Sounds like I need to make some more Greek Yogurt too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMmmm - those sweet potatoes look so yummy! As does the fruit salad. I need to try mixing it with greek yogurt. I can't wait until the summer when all of the fruit is especially good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. whoa - the mashed sweet potatoes and cauliflower mix is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those sweet potatoes look soo good!! And now I'm in the mood for some fruit! haha I can't wait for summer and lots of fruit :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. woah loving the mashed sweet potatoes!! amazing :) smart way to add some more veggies

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving sweet potatoes and cauliflower at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that sweet potato idea! I loved mashed cauliflower too, but had never thought to combine them. What a great idea! I have to try almond milk too. I am way behind on that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh...mashed sweet potatoes! Gotta try those!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to eat mashed sweet potatoes, I think is very delicious, easy to prepare at the same time, it could be served promptly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections