Wednesday, September 9, 2009

When life gets too hard …

Life over the past month or so has certainly and suddenly changed for us pretty drastically.  If you read my blog at all, you probably know that it pretty much has to do with Erik’s dad getting cancer, and Erik suddenly becoming his main caregiver. It’s been a bit of a rough road as we’ve had tons more on our plates than normal both physically and emotionally and we’ve been dealing with things we’ve never had to deal with before (and didn’t expect to have to deal with for a long time).

I will spare you all the details because I don’t want to complain and vent on this oh-so-public blog. I’ll just say that last night was one of those climax too-much-going-on kind of nights where I just sort of exploded. Ha, Erik and I were both completely worn out, tired, and really crabby and I did my share --and more-- of crying. (I tend to be a bit emotional sometimes, just ask my family members ; )

Picture 015

(I took this picture last summer in NY when Erik was showing me the crazy hills and beautiful scenery all over where he had to pick up trash when he was a trash man there back in the day, haha. I love NY! )

Anyways, as I was thinking about everything this morning while typing away at work, I decided it’d be a good idea to remind myself of what I’m thankful for and the wonderful things I really do have. And since I haven’t had a very “serious” post in awhile, here goes …

*please excuse all cheesiness as I was feeling the need to be sentimental this morning

  • My wonderful husband who loves me, who is truly always there for me, and is an extremely hard worker who lately has managed to be able to do way more than I could ever do. I’m proud of him.

Picture 427 AAA

  • My family who loves me, specifically right now my mom, whom I’ve often been venting to lately.  She always does a great job of just listening, encouraging me, and letting me just vent instead of trying to solve my problems, and I really appreciate that!

Picture 245 Picture 071

  • The fact that I am healthy, and have the physical and mental ability to workout and to be active.

Picture 079

  • The fact that Erik is also completely healthy (minus having sinusitis for over a month that he’s just getting over, ha ;) He also doesn’t have time to work out right now, though he misses it, but some day will have time again and is definitely able-bodied to, that which I am thankful for.

aPicture 122 aPicture 124

  • Hope. Hope that no matter what happens, God’s justice will prevail in our life and in the world.
    • I feel like my eyes have been more opened to the world of cancer/sickness more as this is the closest it has brushed up against my own life and truly affected it. I’ve only been through a tiny portion of what so many families have been through and are currently going through and I can’t imagine how hard some people have it.

6410_1085096055533_1470353944_30257030_6154177_n

  • Prosperity. Simply because I live in America, I am rich and I really have no idea how good I really do have it simply because of the fact that I have food, shelter and clothes and I am able to easily pay all the bills.

6410_1084044949256_1470353944_30252754_6343422_n

  • Grace. God’s constant grace and mercy. I truly am a flawed human being who is completely clueless. I’m so thankful for God’s grace upon my constant ignorance and prideful, selfish tendencies as I continue to sincerely-as-I-can-manage pray, “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

So there is my current list of things I’m thankful for!

And thank you to everyone who who has sent well wishes and prayers our way throughout all of this! : )  I’m also very thankful for this wonderful blogging community. Though I haven’t been interacting with you all as much I would like to, thank you so much for reading and caring!!

And to any new readers I may have picked up recently along the way that I’ve probably neglected by not responding to or not e-mailing back, thank for reading anyways!!

What are you thankful for today?

 

-Lesley

19 comments:

  1. Lesley, I am so sorry about everything you have been struggling with lately but I can't tell you how amazing I think it is that you are able to take your emotions and translate them in to something positive. You have so many blessings in your life <3 Lots of love to you, girl xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you guys are having a rough time, taking care of sick family members can be very difficult, but I know you will both get through it. Great post about thankfulness.

    I'm so thankful for all of the amazing people that I have been blessed with. I don't know where I would be without each one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh girl! I'm so sorry :( I'm sure this situation has been INCREDIBLY difficult and stressful for both of you. I'm glad you cried- its so good to just LET IT OUT sometimes! Beautiful post. My love and thoughts are with you both! I am thankful for Josh, Frank, My family, My health, my job(s)....gosh I could go on forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, my heart goes out to you and your family during this time.

    If you ever need anything, please email me.

    Take care sweetheart!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I'm so sorry to hear about Erik's dad. Cancer is so rough, and awful. I've dealt with it on many occasions in my lifetime, but never a parent. I can't imagine the pain. I'm glad you are looking at the positive side, that's the only way to get through it. You do have a lot to be thankful for. As do I.

    Today I was thankful for something very simple; computers! Why? Because I had to use a type writer to type in my thesis title on my final papers. It took me 15 minutes to write three lines. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, you know I'm praying for you, and if you ever need to vent/ share specific prayer concerns, you know where to find me. :) If there's anything I've learned in the past year +, it's that life very rarely goes according to plan. Tears are part of life, it's ok. You and Erik are strong, and I know you guys will continue to carry through everything that comes your way. Praying for strength for Erik + you. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I'm a new reader I did not know. I'm keeping you and your family, and extended family in my prayers.

    I'm thankful for being healthy and having my family and friends around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your positivity will pull you through this tough time. I will keep you, Erik, and Erik's father in my prayers. Stay strong! We're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for reminding me of all I have to be grateful for! This post couldn't have come at a better time for me, as my grandmother heads to surgery tomorrow and my mother is awaiting test results that aren't looking good. Like you, I am so grateful for a loving family!

    You and Erik are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about Eric's dad. What a tough situation. It's good to see that you are able to acknowledge all of your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet writing this post was really helpful! You did a great job of finding a bunch of positive things in a stressful situation. (And you are definitely entitled to one of THOSE moments, lady!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sorry to know what Erik and you have to go through a hard family situation... I can imagine that... a family member getting sick is the worst thing that could happen for anyone.
    You're a strong woman who knows how to be thankful even under this situation. I admire you~
    Hugs~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was so refreshing to read....I need to be mindful of things I take for granted ALL the time in my life! I'm so thankful for my family, friends, job (though I don't like it, it pays the bills and mortgage!), health, happiness, and my determination.

    We're still praying for you....I can't imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. Sometimes it just feels good to cry it all out....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, please know I am sending you my warmest thoughts and prayers... *big hugs* I am awed by your strength, and the beauty and wisdom of your words...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending my best! You do have a lot to be thankful for. We all do! Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lesley,
    It's been a while. I loved your post. It was very heart-felt. Your Mom sounds like a gem, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry about Eric's dad. I can't even imagine how difficult this situation is, but you're really incredible for staying so strong and postive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry sorry to hear about the cancer news with your father-in-law. Both my parents had cancer and it's not an easy thing to go through.
    You are so blessed with this blog and the friends you have made, as well has the family you have along the way. May God bless you even more along the way. Love following your blog.
    Have a great weekend! Love and Prayers your way...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this post :) I'm glad you posted it! Hang in there..you will be just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections