Sunday, September 20, 2009

Too much flour, too much food, amazing portabella pizza

Hello! Hope everyone’s weekend was fabulous! Mine went by too fast and I’m pretty sure I ate too much, ha!

Part of the reason I ate too much was because of these babies … whole wheat chili chocolate chip cookies topped with hemp seeds. (I used  a 74% cacao chili dark chocolate for the “chips”).

Picture 197

Erik pretty much NEVER requests cookies (he’s more health conscious than me though I’m quickly catching up with him, ha) and IF he does he never wants them to be cookies with flour. (Here’s a good description of why we don’t usually eat a lot of things with flour in case you’re wondering … basically, it’s still very processed and has a high GI)

However,  the medicine he’s had to take for his sinus/ear infection/whatever it is, problem has made his eating habits very weird and he wanted a faster digesting cookie so I made these. Picture 199

When cookies are in the house, I have a hard time resisting them! (Ha, which is why they rarely are). 

Last night, we decided it would be pizza night. It was kind of late in the evening so instead of making crust, which I would have rather done, we just bought some whole wheat crust.

Picture 207

Ingredients:

  • Tomato paste
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Little bit of olive hummus
  • Freshly sliced mozzarella
  • Some reduced fat tomato basil feta cheese
  • Lean ground beef
  • Little bit of shredded cheese
  • Seasonings

I opted to have mine on a large portabella mushroom (YUM!) so that I wouldn’t have anymore flour after all those darn cookies I ate.

Picture 205

This was my first portabella mushroom pizza experience and it was pretty much amazing!

Picture 215

And extremely filling!

Picture 221

But I still had dessert … a couple small cookies (yes, more) and a cottage cheese/raspberry mixture.

Picture 223

I find that the less hardcore I workout, the more food I want to eat. When I was faithfully lifting hard 5-6 days along with morning cardio I never wanted to just keep eating, nor would I have wanted so many cookies.

Picture 194                p.s. my favorite magazine came!

I love food and I love cooking and baking healthy foods. But if I’m not at the right balance of working out/eating, I tend to love eating that food way too much too, ha.  I’m not sure why that is but I’m thinking maybe because my post lifting shake packs a pretty big punch and easily satisfies any lingering craving for sweets?

Oh well … just some random recent observations that no one probably cares about but that I shared anyways ; )

Hope you had a great weekend!!

 

-Lesley

21 comments:

  1. I have had to cut wheat out of my diet because I found out I was allergic to it and it has made a HUGE differnce for me. I feel so much better!

    Also, I love the idea of pizza in a portabello! I am so trying that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love the post! I can NEVERRRRRRRR resist cookies if they are around, especially homemade ones! It's funny that you notice you have more cravings on the days you are off. I've noticed that sometimes too! But I'm usually most ravenous and eat whatever is in sight if I do a lot of cardio (so I try to keep it at a minimum)!

    That portabella pizza looks AMAZING. I would go to the store now, but I've already been to 3 stores today... Maybe tomorrow or the next day! Great idea!

    Hope Erik is feeling better! I'm sure all of your delicious food helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie! Those cookies sound really unique and totally delicious! Hope you guys enjoyed them and the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whooo, those are some intense pizzas. I like your portabella one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Boboli!! NIck an dI love Boboli pizza crust. I love your pizza too. I don't think Nick would eat that, but I would love it.

    Regarding the whole grains vs. whole wheat, I am not sure that I agree with that statement (I clicked on the link) that says whole wheat flour increases insulin and eventually causes diabetes. IF you have a well balanced diet, and you are physically fit, it's ok to have insulin spikes at times during the day. During a meal, it's normal, and it's going to happen anyway. Plus, whole grains will spike your insulin just as much as whole wheat flour, in many cases.

    That's just my opinion, but maybe you guys know something else?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gina - I guess the main point, besides a high GI, I was trying to make is regarding the fact that whole wheat flour is much more processed than most whole grains and that article seemed to explain it. We just like to try to most of the time eat foods as minimally processed as possible that have a low GI.

    Thanks for your input, I'm sure you have more knowledge than me, being an RD and all! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that I eat less clean (dirtier?? haha) on the days I DON'T workout. My appetite is way crazier. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get that Clean Eating magazine. It looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in love with that pizza you made with the ground meat. cookies with chili, now that sounds good. hope you have a lovely Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG pizzzzzza YUM!
    When I have great workouts I want to keep on the right track and find myself eating WAY better...when I skip out I totally crave not so healthy but totally yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to check out this clean eating magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you going to post the cookie recipe? They sound like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your portabella pizza looks incredible! Such a brilliant idea!

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one - I'm the exact same way with eating and working out! :-) When I work out more, I feel like eating less! So funny, isn't it?

    Your cookies sound heavenly... Oh my, oh my, chili and chocolate... *dreamy sigh* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies look amazing! I would have eaten lots, too. :-)

    I love your idea for a portabella mushroom pizza! I would have never thought of that, but it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh oh. I could eat that beautiful pizza. All of it. By myself. Sorry, but I suffer from a pizza affliction. Can't quite shake it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am the EXACT same way with eating and exercise....that's why I've been so determined to stick with clean eating since my knee injury. I LOVE, LOVE food. But when I'm working out and taking care of myself, I tend to eat a lot healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm the SAMEEE way with exercising and eating! The days I take it down a notch with workouts are the days I want to eat more! crazy :)

    but I love love love the looks of those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so strange the ways our bodies work, right?

    I could go for a few (dozen) of those cookies right now..

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think you've officially talked me into getting the clean eating mag :) i want to subscribe now!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was so excited to see my magazine come in the mail too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. pizza looks sooo good! I love portobello pizzas!! I made one once with roasted red pepper and goat cheese and stuck in in the broiler for a bit and it ozzed and became creamy and delicious

    you have such unique recipes! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections