Thursday, September 17, 2009

Savory oats?

One of the many reasons I love this foodie/healthy living blogging community is for new food and fitness ideas. Well … after asking “what’s your all time favorite combo with oats?” yesterday, I discovered my absolutely delicious dinner for tonight.

Savory oats.

Picture 166

Thanks, Erica! She told me that anymore she’s loving savory oats with things like hot sauce, veggies, beans, etc, verse sweet oats. This intrigued me and thus dinner was born.

My savory oats included:

  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 can tuna
  • peas
  • Freshly chopped red pepper
  • Freshly chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 fresh chopped tomato
  • pepper
  • dash of balsamic vinegar
  • sea salt
  • red pepper flakes
  • chili powder
  • parmesan cheese

Result? Yum!! Added bonus? A metabolism boost due to the hot red pepper flakes. I’ll take it!Picture 165

It was a wonderful tasting and very quick dinner full of flavor!

In other news, Erik has sinusitis again (or still … whichever).  It’s been well over a month now. Ugh. He went to the doctor again today and got some drugs so hopefully he’ll rest up and get rid of it for good.

Who’s ready for the weekend??  I am! Hope your evening/day/morning is wonderful!

 

-Lesley

 

12 comments:

  1. GREAT recipe. I just copied and pasted it. I have yet to try a good savory oat recipe, and this one looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo-la-la. This recipe has a lot of my favorite things! Sea salt, parm, tuna, rolled oat...ooo-wee!

    Quote away! I appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oats for dinner is sheer genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!! Glad you were inspired by Erica - she's awesome :)

    Enjoy the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh! So glad you loved it! I was totally inspired by Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point! Guess we all just keeping the good foodie love :) Poor Erik! I bet you're an awesome nurse though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an awesome idea!! I've never tried savory oats, and it sounds incredible! Rather like a rice dish, but with extra fiber! Yea! Thank you for the great idea!

    I hope Erik feels better soon! Sending lots of get well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, this looks really good. I'm usually totally grossed out by savory oats, but I definitely want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oats with tuna sounds great! Noting this one down :) Bonus points for budget-friendly!

    I have been ready for the weekend since mid-morning on Monday ;) Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! I have seen some recipes with oats in it for dinner, but never thought they looked too great. This one actually looks good! Maybe I'll try it tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try savory oats. I think I'm waiting for a nice cool fall evening to make these for dinner.
    Your bowl looks awesome!

    Hope Eric gets better soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks awesome--I would never think to combine those ingredients. I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen someone do hot sauce before! I think oats for dinner is a nifty idea. I like!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections