Monday, September 21, 2009

Wheatgrass smoothie

I’ve been in the mood for some different greens lately and had my heart set on some kale because it’s been far too long since I’ve had any.

Picture 232

After I got my kale and as I was wondering in the grocery store to see how much organic spinach was, I spotted some organic wheat grass. I got super excited and was very surprised to see it there! Erik was moving on and I said, “Erik, wait! Look!” And if anyone saw me, they probably thought I was weird.

Oh well … of course, I had to get it.

Picture 233

The only wheat grass I’ve had thus far in my life is Amazing  Grass wheat grass powder. Ever since I ran out of that I’ve been wanting more, not to mention the fact that there was just an article written by Tosca Reno about the health benefits of wheat grass in the latest Clean Eating magazine.

Some of those benefits include:

  • Cleanses and detoxifies the body
  • Increases and sustains energy
  • Strengthens your immune system
  • Helps purify the blood and boost its circulation
  • Perfect balance of nutrients and especially high in calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and potassium
  • Contains all 20 amino acids
  • Prevents tooth decay
  • Aids in digestion
  • Helps balance thyroid function
  • Cleanses the liver

Picture 236

So, this morning I had some wheat grass in a green smoothie.  Upon cutting some of the grass I got a little worried because it smelled VERY grassy. 

I didn’t ever mind the taste of powder wheat grass in smoothies, but didn’t know how different this would be. I did my best to make my shake a complete breakfast and also drown out some of the grassy flavor.

Here was my combo:

  • 2-3 inches round wheat grass
  • 1  small banana
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2-3 handfuls spinach
  • small handful oats
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 2 packets Stevia in the Raw
  • ice

Picture 238The overall result was not what I had hoped for. This is a normal combo I have if I’m rushed in the morning and have a smoothie for breakfast, only thing being different of course, wheatgrass.

The problem: it still smelled very grassy. Honestly, if I couldn’t smell it, the taste wasn’t half bad, buuuut we all know I could smell it, ha.

 Being hardcore and all, I took it like a man and still drank it all. (It filled the below cup plus my Amazing Grass shaker which I took with me to work after finishing off this glass at home).

Picture 239

I tweeted about my experience and I got a response from @amOrganics to try using a touch of lemon or honey to curb the bitter taste so I might try that.  Only the bitter taste wasn’t what bothered me, it was the grassy smell! Ha.

Perhaps it’s just an acquired taste … but I’m determined to acquire it!! I’m also thinking a juicer would probably work better than a blender buuut I don’t have a juicer so my blender will have to do.

Does anyone have any wheatgrass tips for me??

 

-Lesley

12 comments:

  1. You are brave..ha! I don't think I could of stomached that in the morning:) Good luck making it taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Good for you for drinking it all. Any sign of funk and I'm usually unable to finish my beverage/meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would mix in some fruits or fruit juices that have strong sweet flavors. This may overpower the wheatgrass taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way I take wheatgrass in a shot form. I can't handle that grassy smell either. But if you juice it and just take like 1-2 oz shot and chase it with something its not bad at all. Was it still bad in your amazing grass cup?

    Sometimes if you put it in a coffee mug or something where there drinking hole is smaller you can't smell it as much -- thats what I do when I have extra potent green juice :)

    Last time I had wheatgrass it really upset my stomach and made me nauseas, I am not sure why though. Have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had wheatgrass before, but I have some from AG that I really want to try. Sounds like it has a lot of benefits. Sorry your store-bought kind was super grassy smelling, though. Hope you can get it figured out, so it's edible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never before tried wheatgrass, but your list of benefits are intriguing! Have you tried looking up some recipes online? I would think the Internet would provide plenty of good tips! Good luck, and let us know what you find/hear from people :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing wheatgrass is great and I did it. However, for people with busy lifestyles it's almost impossible to find the time to grow, tend,juice and if I travel I want to be able to take it with me. I found some that is grown Aeoponically, soil-free, fungus free and includes the roots which include cancer and other disease fighting nutrients. Just put it in your sports bottle with 8 to 12 ounces of water, shake and you're good to go. It's freeze dried and the nutrients come to life when blended with the water. I found out about it at a health food store. You can get free samples at www.BestOrganicWheatgrass.com by filling out the form on the home page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you really did take it like a man! Maybe you could try drinking it in a cup with a lid and a straw so you can't smell it :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are a tougher chick than I.. kudos to you mama! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are so brave to stick it in a smoothie! Way to get it down. I think you definitely need a juicer though :) I see a great potential holiday gift idea to pass along to your hubby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Andrea who got nausea from drinking wheatgrass - that happened to me until I was told to cut out the sugar in my diet. Once I did that - and tried wheatgrass again - I did not have any nausea. Also, it's best to drink wheatgrass on an empty stomach and not eat for 1/2 hour. I brush my teeth and the peppermint masks that smell, then hold my breath when I down it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is one of my favorites beverages and also which enjoy more and more, it taste so sweet and smells good for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections