Monday, October 12, 2009

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Happy Columbus Day and Thanksgiving (to those in Canada)!

Not gonna lie, I’m jealous of you all that had the day off! But I hope you enjoyed your day; )

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

As I mentioned yesterday, Erik and I watched the documentary, Bigger, Stronger, Faster this past weekend.

It talked about the use of anabolic steroids as performance-enhancing drugs in the US and how it relates to the American Dream.

And copying the synopsis from Wikipedia, “The documentary examines the steroid use of the director Christopher Bell and his two brothers, Mark and Mike Bell,[5] who all grew up idolizing Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hulk Hogan, and Sylvester Stallone, and also features professional athletes, medical experts, fitness center members, and US Congressmen talking about the issue of anabolic steroids.

Beyond the basic issue of anabolic steroid use, Bigger, Stronger, Faster* examines the lack of consistency in how America views drugs, cheating, and the lengths people go to achieve success.

The film looks beyond the steroid issue to such topics as Tiger Woods' laser eye correction to 20/15 vision, professional musicians use of anxiety reducing drugs, or athletes' dependence on cortisone shots, which are a legal steroid. It takes a skeptical view of the health risks of steroids and is critical of the legal health supplement industry.”

My thoughts from the movie:

  • It was a big reminder and wake-up call on how America is all about being the best, the bigger, the winner at just about any cost.
  • It reminded me of how stuck we are on body imagine. Everyone in magazines look absolutely perfect, but it’s not reality and that’s what aids to eating disorders and the monster of never having enough self worth.
  • At one point in the documentary, there was a photographer saying that literally 80-90% of what’s seen in magazines is completely untrue. For example, here is a before and after picture of the director of the documentary taken on the same day!

biggerstrongerfaster1

image credit

Near the end of the movie the director, Chris Bell’s dad was responding to his son talking about how it seems as though all the great people in the US, all the winners, all the best people seem to have cheated to get there.

The heart of the matter

Part of his dad’s response really got to me. He started out by talking about some of the best presidents having affairs, and exampled many people who have done great things that have also royally screwed up and he concluded by saying,

“Every man is fallible and even the people who were the prime examples of how to run your life in the Bible … screwed up. They all screwed up. So people need to get off their self righteous, uh, soap boxes and start lovin’ each other.”

I totally agree. That is truly what is important. I’m all screwed up and I need to get off my self righteous soap box and start lovin’ people.  It’s really not about who’s doing whatever wrong, because we’re ALL doing things very wrong.  But loving each other? … That will get us somewhere!

Long story short … I highly recommend this documentary!

 

-Lesley

 

11 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it, we will have to check it out! I had to work today and the hubs had the day off, not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm sounds like an interesting film for sure! I would love to see this.

    Thank you for your kind words on my post tonight :) You are incredibly sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great documentary to check out. What you say is true, why are we so stuck on things like body image? I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful insights. This documentary sounds extremely interesting and something I will keep in mind.

    Sorry you didn't get to enjoy the Holiday off from work, but I hope it was still wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, this movie sounds so interesting! Thanks for telling us about it. I have a friend who just broke up with her bf because he was a major d*ck and just so happened to be taking steroids. I should have her see this movie. And it would really be good for anyone to see really, as it's good for people to be reminded of the false senses of reality we are exposed to each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had no idea this movie even existed. I hope it comes here--I'd like to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this, but I must see. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this documentary either--sounds really interesting though. Thanks for letting us know about it. I liked reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the point you took out of this documentary. I think we all have to find out own way in life and we are bound to make mistakes at one point or another.

    Oh and I think those "instant" befores and afters are so interesting! I'm sure I could do one one in the morning (as the after), and a before shot with a full belly and lots of bloat lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like something I'd like to watch. What a great reminder...stop judging people and start loving people. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great great great post, Lesley! It's so disheartening the extent to which people will go to achieve their ideal body image! and that before and after picture is just appalling -- It disgusts me how much the media manipulates our society... bah! obviously I have some pent up anger issues, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections