Saturday, January 16, 2010

Protein: How much is too much?

Hey all!

Have you ever done something you love so much, got stressed about it and felt like you had to do it so much that it wasn’t fun anymore? Ha. That’s what I’ve been feeling lately, hence why I haven’t blogged the past few days.  I sort of burnt myself out and needed a break!

Since I started lifting hard on top of work and blogging every night, my days have been jam packed, I haven’t been getting enough sleep, and I still haven’t been getting everything done I want/need to get done, and Erik and I haven’t been spending as much time together as we need. My evenings after work consist of two hours working out, then making dinner, and  then blogging and after all that, it’s already past my bedtime.

I really wasn’t thinking because sleep is even more important right now, as I’m exerting myself even more in the gym than my body is used to.

But, lifting and blogging are both things I love to do so of course I won’t be stopping them. I just need to figure out a better way of going about them. Therefore, I probably won’t be posting quite as often, as I don’t want to feel pressed to blog every single day (in fact, I’m not sure why I felt that way in the first place??)  I decided I’d rather have more quality posts not as often anyways … and this way I can breath more!  I’m sure you all understand ; ).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on ….  RE my last post

Glad you found my current figure competition diet interesting ; )  And thanks for all your input!

A few questions came up along the way and I thought I’d post the answers for all to see:

q

Thankfully, somehow I don’t find it that hard to add foods and eat more. Honestly, I just love food and I love to eat it! Ha. If anything, I’ve always had problems eating too much food. And that’s a perk I find to eating clean. I’m able to eat more of it without gaining weight. If I ate a lot of “junk food” I’d be in trouble because I’m horrible at eating “junk food” in moderation. It’s sort of all or or nothing kind of thing for me. While some people can eat whatever they want in moderation and still maintain a healthy weight, I cannot! If I’m eating cookies, I don’t just want one! My body type gains easily and my appetite wants a lot of food ; )

As far as working out is concerned, yes, I do work out everyday but for the bulking phase, I have decreased my cardio significantly. I’m currently just doing 15 minutes of low intensity cardio before and after my lifting session.DPP_0003 qq So far, I have no stomach complaints ; ) Other than feeling really full at times, everything is in order. With a high protein diet, I drinking plenty of water! However, with large amount of water consumption, I’m thankful for a job that allows me to easily use the restroom often! ;)

I find the easiest way to get in protein is meat. I eat a lot of chicken breasts and lean ground turkey. I plan on incorporating more fish into my diet as well. In most other meatless meals, there will likely be eggs or protein powder involved.DPP_0004

Last but not least … the issue of protein. How much is too much??

qqq 
And anonymous responded with: qqqq

After reading both of these responses, it caused me to do some research of my own and I found this topic of protein can be very controversial. One article in particular that I found interesting was this one, called “High protein diets affect on muscle gain and weight loss” by Paul Johnson

Here is an excerpt from it that I found interesting:

protein protein2

The part most interesting to me is that half of the Polish powerlifters, when doubling their protein intake past the recommended daily allowance, were still not getting an adequate amount and still has a negative nitrogen balance.

All in all, it’s evident that bodybuilders, powerlifters, and other high intensity athletes do consume large amounts of protein, way more than the recommended daily amount.  And for those athletes, large amounts of protein are essential to achieve certain size/strength goals.

This is all very interesting to me because I’m currently consuming a little less than 1.5 grams protein per pound, which is definitely higher than the recommended amount. However, through research and looking at others experience and education, I don’t believe this amount is unhealthy due to the amount I workout, how hard I workout, and what I want to achieve.

And bottom line, I trust my husband (aka my trainer) because he has both done bodybuilding and trained athletes and I trust his judgment! : )

I’ll end with one more excerpt from “High protein diets affect on muscle gain and weight loss”:

The answer to a near optimum amount for muscle gains, yet still also being a healthy amount for the kidneys and liver, is probably somewhere in around the 1.5 grams per pound mark.

Hope all this wasn’t too boring and long! ; )

Any more thoughts on protein??

image

P.S. Have a fantastic weekend!! :D

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Lesley. I still don't agree with it, but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions! Anything above 2 grams per kg bodyweight, will mean that you are putting a big dent in your daily calories, therefore you will need to off-set another macronutrient (probably carbs). When you consume less carbs that about 60% of your daily calories, the extra protein you are consuming will be used for energy! So, it's fine to consume all that, but I still think it's no help. According to the American Dietetic Association, strength training athletes need about 1.4-1.7 g/kg (.5-.8 grams/pound).
    Regarding all of the "Athletes who usually consume a ton of protein" they are also usually consuming a ton of steroids, let's not forget. I think this has become very clear lately.

    If you do continue to consume this much protein, keep in mind that you will be more likely to get dehydrated (so keep drinking!) and you will be losing a lot of calcium in your urine (get your protein from dairy!). Just some tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl- you rock! Blog as often or as little as you want. I totally hit that same wall. I actually feel happier with my blog now that I'm blogging less- I think my posts are better. This is a fabulous post. That protein looks really interesting. My husband was looking for a new protein, I'm going to show this to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! My "sport" isn't weight-lifting - it's running, so it is a little different (although I do intend to do more weights this year!) I find that although protein is important, the diets recommended to me are much more centered around carbs.
    For myself, I think I've found a good balance of carbs and protein that works for me. I don't count grams of either, but I do keep in mind the necessary balance when making meals.
    Bottom line is that I think everyone's diets should cater not only to their body-type but also their sport or what they're trying to achieve.
    It seems to me that you've educated yourself and picked the option that will work best for you. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina -
    I appreciate your input! Yes, I can definitely tell there are many varying opinions on this topic! Ha.
    While I do know the American Dietic Association suggests 1.4-1.7 g/kg (.5-.8 grams/pound), I think the only "problem" is that the ADA, similar to the BMI charts and the food pyramid do not take into account for individuality. Bringing into account the Somatotype Theory, something which may be fine for the regular athlete who isn't interested in ever competing may not be fine for someone who is. I am fairly confident of my ratios since my carbs are at 60% and my protein levels have been proven effective and safe by many studies as well as many athlete and natural female bodybuilders.
    And, yes, I definitely know many, many athletes are consuming a lot of steroids but there are those that are natural, without steroids, who are still consuming the same high amounts of protein, not to mention pro athletes or Olympic competitors who are certainly NOT within the recommended amounts. (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5317716/#storyContinued). In fact, that link even says that most Olympic gymnasts get 60-70% of their calories from proteins. (I thought that was pretty crazy!)
    Ha, while I'm not trying to compare myself to an Olympic gymnast by any means, I simply mean that what is recommended doesn't apply to everyone. And, yes, I'll keep drinking my gallon+ of water, as I previously mentioned ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly-
    I agree, I think we all need to find the right balance for our own activity level, our own goals, and our own body type and it's going to be slightly different for us all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can completely identify with not being able to eat junk food in moderation! That's my problem! Ice cream is the real killer though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've hit that wall myself and just slowed down my posting a tad. IT helps alot and brings back the fun of posting! :D I am loving hearing all about your revised diet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i WAS SO EXCITED when i saw the title of this post! thanks SO much for talking about this!! loved what you said, and i love that you didnt mind eating more and stuff, thats awesome.
    i think it is so interesting. I need to drink more water too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take all the time you need, lady! Blogging should be fun first and foremost...although I think we all know that it's not all play and no work :-)

    GREAT post here-- this is very informative. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello lovely!! :) No worries about not posting much, of course we'll miss you, but life is pretty important!! :)

    xo
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. very informative!! thank you so much for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally understand your decision to lay off the blogging for awhile. I've been doing the same thing because sometimes life gets a little too crazy. You really need to step back and realize that it's important to focus on what is absolutely needed during these times and everything else will have to take a back seat. No worries hun, we are all here for you!

    Hope you get a nice relaxing weekend and especially some quality time with your man!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My newest mantra when it comes to blogging: post when you feel like it. There are days when i'm just mentally drained and the last thing I want to do is sit down and blog -- and i'm learning that that's okay! thanks to google reader your followers will always be there whenever you decide to post :) You are such a busy girl and deserve any rest and relaxation you can get -- no need to stress over silly things like blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading your post! I gained insight and knowledge. And I understand, take the time you need. Sometimes I just don't know what to write anymore because my day seems the same, so that's why I had my random post :)

    And for that protein powder you have shown, do you drink it with almond milk or dairy? is it tasty with JUST water? ha, in other words, how do you like it? haha

    good night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you took a break for yourself:) This is a hot topic-do what is best for you and your body! I know I don't get enough protein, I need to work on getting more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was always curious as to how some bloggers had the time and energy to blog every day, even multiple times a day! I'm a quiet person in real life even though I ramble a lot while blogging/commenting, but I just don't have THAT much to say! It must be really tiring from the looks of it. Blog when you feel like it! It's a hobby, so it shouldn't be stressful at all. :) Have a relaxing day (or couple of days!)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful super informative post! I got a lot of questions about protein too, and it's funny, I find I have more energy and my body looks better when I am high protein, relatively low carb. Love how we're all different, that's the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I found your blog from Naomi (onefitfoodie). I'm interested in training for a figure contest maybe in the fall as I don't have enought time to prepare for one any sooner. I've spent the morning reading your blog and I love it! I'm looking forward to following you in your training. I'm beginning my own strength training and diet this week, would you mind if I emailed you with questions and stuff?
    This post is great. Exactly the info I've been searching for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blog whenever you want! I'll keep reading regardless. I feel like I learned so much from reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your input Lesley, I hope the protein does your body good! We're all cheering for you. Are you going to go tanning and everything?! I really can't WAIT to see how you look at the end, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lesley - I agree with you on the blogging - it can be tough to keep up with! :) Do what you feel comfortable with and keeps you stress free and we'll be here reading it when you do!

    Have a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear you on posting Lesley! I am struggling with that myself & whether to do less posts. I don't even have a day like yours either although I did when I was younger! Do what is right for you. Sleep is so important to the stress levels & health as well!

    As for protein, when I was bodybuilding, I definitely ate more protein because I was lifting some heavy weights! Even now, I lift a lot so my protein is more than most women who don't lift like me. I drink a lot of water too which is important for the kidneys when you are eating more protein but you already know that!!!

    Hope all falls into place for you & we will keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say that what I've seen and researched, most don't recommend or see any benefit of going over 2 g/kg of body weight. But, like you said sports nutrition is really based on the individual athletes. What works for one, can be totally different from another. As long as your kidneys are functioning, drinking lots of water and it's 'feeling' good for you personally. Can't wait to see your journey to one ripped, hot mama! Are you taking before and afters? You would be a great thesis topic :) Oh and I had a question about that one study in Nutr Met - how did they measure the nitrogen balance?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally understand! I've been blogging for a year now, and I'm only now starting to find a fine-tuned balance. It's hard girl! So just do what feels right. Get that rest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! This is a very interesting post with a lot of insight. Thanks for sharing. And you shouldn't feel pressured to post everyday! We will still be here to read your posts whether you write everyday or once a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't stress too much about the blogging daily! I think we get into such a routine with it and we love it so much, that we get stuck in a cycle where we stress if we can't get a post in. But you were right to put things into perspective, sleep is best! And I'll always be around to read whenever you get to post :)

    That's really interesting about the protein intake. I thought 200g sounded like a lot, but I do understand that individual people have different needs based on lifestyles. And definitely you are taking all of the steps to make your intake work FOR you. It's always good to stay informed too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been having blog burn lately, too. For me, writing is time-consuming enough and finding time to read and keep up on other blogs can be completely over-whelming at times! Don't feel bad! And know that you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blogging totally can become overwhelming, especially when you do it numerous times a day. During semesters, I can only fit about 2-3 posts in a week depending. I personally like the blogs that I read that don't post 2-3 a day, that can get overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections