Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Juicing Combinations?

Happy cold weather!

Ha, why I seem to like talking about the weather so much, I have no idea but I do! Here’s a look at our weather for the next few days. Wind chills of –25? Yes, that’s cold enough for me.

Actually, I’ve been good this winter. Normally I constantly say “I hate winter” but this year, I really don’t hate it. I simply decided to enjoy it instead and it’s amazing how that works, ha. Attitude is everything.weather It’s currently flurrying and I always love the sight of freshly falling snow. There’s just something about it that’s cozy and wonderful! How’s your weather?AA  In The Gym

Tonight was my “off” night, so I didn’t work out. My trainer has me lifting Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays.  It’s nice having the night off but I’m not gonna lie, I kind of missed my workout!

At least for now, lifting is definitely my niche …. it hurts so good!  One of these days, I’ll post what a my typical “bulking diet” day-in-food is currently like. More video posts are coming as well!

Juicing

One of the things I got for Christmas is a Jack LaLanne juicer that looks just like this (though it didn’t come with the freshly juiced orange that’s in the picture ; )  …

imageI was very excited to get this because I’ve been wanting one for a really long time!!! I used it a lot when I was stuck in Nebraska after Christmas but haven’t used it much since I got home. Tonight was the night to break that streak. Here was my experimental combo based on what I had in my fridge:

  • Small organic Fuji apple
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Cherry tomatoes

AAAA Does anyone have tasty, mostly veggie based juicing combinations to suggest to me?? I know how to make a fruit drink taste good, it’s not that hard because fruit is just good! Ha. However, I’m having a hard time coming up with tasty veggie drinks so far.

This combo was just all right. Something threw it off a little and I’m not sure what it was. I think either the celery or the broccoli? I know you guys will be able to help me out on this one! ; )AAAAA Now I’m off to eat some dinner … I’m hungry!!

Don’t forget to tell me your favorite veggie based juice combo! ; )

image

21 comments:

  1. It is cold but no snow right now. I am sick of winter. I am not a big fan of juice. I would rather eat the fruits and veggies whole, but that is just me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That is COLD!
    I like this combo - 2 carrots, 2 celery, 2-3 tomatoes, handful of parsley, half of a bell pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a juicer more than anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cold!! We have a cold snap as well and I am hoping it goes away soon but like you said it is winter.

    I like carrot, mango, spinach, and strawberry combo. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i missed my workout today too girl!
    i love your positive attitude about the cold..maybe that will rub off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to use either 1 big piece of fruit or two tiny pieces of fruit and then a lot of extra vegetables. I find that the more veggies you use, the more bitter it tastes, but a good way to mask that is with citrus fruit, like a mini-lime, and I also like the taste of ginger.
    I think we've had about the same weather over here - great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had the Jack Juicer! but alas I got to stop with the extravagent spending :)

    I remember I paired pineapple and strawberries with veggies that weren't overpowering, like cucumber, spinach, kale, or celery! maybe beets? but I'm afraid it'd really stain the juicer (if that is possible) thanks for the comment!, I hope the "meh" goes away too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I cannot believe how chilly it is there! Bundle up. I don't have a lot of experience with the juicing, but I wonder if its like smoothie making where the sweetness for a banana (or half a banana) makes all the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got a juicer. I am so jealous. My Mom has one and I juiced every single day. One combination that I did not get around trying but want to is Carrot, Ginger and apple!

    Let me know if you try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really have much experience with juicing but I would throw in citrus with as many different veggies as I wanted with a pinch of salt to enhance the flavors along with whatever spices I was in the mood for, i.e. cumin and chili powder for Mexican, curry for Indian, or 5 spice powder and ginger for Asian.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I would love a juicer!

    That snow pic is beautiful! We're about to head back up to PA and cold, cold, cold temps, so I feel you :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lesley

    I've been reading your blog for a while and its great.

    I'm from the UK and were having some cold weather -3 I know not as cold as you but its freezing for us. Plus the UK transport system grinds to a holt wrong kind of snowflake, wrong kind of ice !!!!! Anyway I have the same machine as you and I love carrot, apple and ginger its so nice. Maybe you needed another apple the celery and brocolli could be quite overpowering in flavor.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. My weather looks a lot like your weather! Brr...I've also decided that instead of complaining I'm gonna take a deep breathe of fresh air every time I go out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. brrrr chilly!!! but what a beautiful picture outside! I can't really handle the cold since I've grown up in Vegas, and it's in the low 60s here today, crazy! I've always wanted a juicer or vitamix. I don't have any good ones, but I know thinspired always has some tasty juice combos :) Can't wait to see your 'bulking diet'! stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's cold! Seattle gray is starting to look pretty good (although not as pretty) in comparison ;) I'm not a big juicer, but I suspect the broccoli was the culprit as it's taste is stronger than the celery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not experienced with the juicer! I wish I had ideas for yoU! orangetruffle.com, Gelareh knows ALOT about juicing she woud be a great person to ask!
    i always miss my workouts on my rest day!

    havea great night girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Lesley, I so understand you missing the lifting. I so love it & am a classic overtrainer. Luckily for me, I know my bod & I make gains even if I go too far! :-) I will have to find that post I did with one of my bodybuilding pics on it... it is not figure but still, I can see you love weights as much as I do!!!!

    I am not much of a juicer.. I eat the veggies whole. I am too lazy to do it & then clean the juicer up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I received the same for Christmas, so far I've only made carrot and apple. Your combo above sounds good. I think I'm going to look for a book online. let you know if I find something tastey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am seriously considering moving down south - this weather is just too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes! Hope you're able to keep warm! We're freezing too, but it's only in the 30's...haha ONLY.

    I wish I knew how to juice! I don't know if I would like it though, I like the crunch factor of fruits and veggies ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections