Thursday, April 2, 2009

Working Out Intimidation

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
~ Mahatma Gandhi~


Thus far at Lesley Living Life I haven't mentioned much about fitness, or my own personal fitness routine, etc. If you've read my "About Me", then you know I definitely have not always enjoyed working out. In fact, growing up (in junior high/high school), I hated PE class, running, lifting, etc. It's not as if I hated all physical activity, but that for some reason I just felt very intimidated, as if I couldn't do any of those things well. While I did golf all four years of high school, I still felt very intimidated by weights, running, and exercise machines. Needless to say, I did not feel like an athlete at all and never thought I'd be one.

Then I met my husband, who was a bodybuilder and practically lived at the gym for years of his life. We got married, and slowly I became more interested. I went to the gym with him and he was my personal trainer telling me what I should do, how much of it I should do, etc, etc. At first I was so intimated at the gym. I thought everyone else would know I didn't have a clue what I was doing and that they would notice. But my husband instructed me and then I realized ... no one cares what I'm doing! And no one is even paying attention to me! Aaaand, I'm ENJOYING this!It felt so good to be at the gym everyday doing what had intimated me for so long and enjoying it SO much. Over a little time, I shed a few pounds I had gained since going to college and I began eating healthy and my husband and I have been active together since.

This brings me to my current workout routine ... my absolute favorite cardio machine thus far is the elliptical, and that's what I would be doing everyday if I could. Buuut, we recently got rid of our gym membership to save money and have been working out at home. Our "gym" consists of a Boflex machine, a treadmill, and some dumbbells.

Now eating healthy and exercising is very important to me and a big priority in my life. Not only is it good for my body, but it makes me feel better about my body and gives me more self-confidence and just makes me feel great. (Though it's not always easy to jump on that treadmill, I'm always glad I did!)

Here's my current workout routine:

Monday-Saturday Cardio:
Treadmill for 40-45 minutes before work.
I don't like to run much, so I typically walk on the highest incline as fast I can and usually jog the last 10 minutes or so.
--(I find that doing my cardio in the morning ensures that I'll do it and it always feels great to start my day with).


Here's my current lifting routine ...

Monday: chest/shoulders/triceps
-Chest:
-incline dumbbell press; 3 sets of 10-12 reps
-dumbbell flye; 3 sets of 10-12 reps
-push-up; 3 sets til failure
-Shoulders:
-standing dumbbell press; 3 set of 10-12 reps
-lateral raise; 3 sets of 10-12 reps
-bent-over lateral raise; 3 sets of 1-20 reps
-Triceps:
-dumbbell lying triceps extension; 3 sets of 10-12 reps
-kickback; 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Wednesday: legs/calves/abs

-Legs:
-dumbbell squat; 3 sets of 12-15 reps
-dumbbell lunge; 3 sets of 12-15 reps
-dumbbell romanian deadlift; 3 sets of 12-15 reps
-Calves:
-seated dumbbell calf raise; 4 sets of 20-25
-Abs:
-hanging leg raise; 3/to failure
-crunch; 3 sets til failure

Friday: back/biceps
-Back:
-dumbbell row; 3 sets of 10-12
-bent-over straight-arm dumbbell lat pull; 3 sets of 12-15
-dumbbell pullover; 3 sets of 15-20
-Biceps:
-standing dumbbell curl; 3 sets of 10-12 reps
-incline dumbbell curl; 3 sets of 12-15 reps

(**I'll note that I didn't know what half of these exercises were until my husband told me! haha.)

And I take Sunday off.

All this being said ... take it from me, no matter how intimated or not intimated you may feel about the gym, about working out or being active, anyone can do it. I didn't know anything about the working out when I started and I felt pretty bad at it, but now I love it and want to keep learning more. (Same goes with eating healthy!) As anything, it takes time, work, and learning, but it's very possible and one of the best things you can do to help live a long and healthy life!! (Cheesy picture, I know, but it's the best I could come up with! Please excuse the mail/clutter filled table)

What intimates you and/or has intimated you about eating healthy and/or working out?

36 comments:

  1. That is so cool you have your husband as a personal trainer :) I bet it can be difficult some times as well too?? I always wonder if I am doing exercises correctly, so it would be nice to have a pro for a resource!

    I agree with you that starting the day with cardio and getting it out of the way is the best. If I put it off I end up procrastinating, and end up not doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm really impressed! I try to exercise in the mornings, and lately I've been taking a few minutes at work to go for a quick walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you've gone from hating the gym to loving it. (I'm sure having a super-knowledgeable husband helped a lot!) You look great (love the long hair), keep up the AWESOME work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post! lucky hubby - he has you as an excellent cook and wife and you have him as a dear hubby + trainer! woot:D love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great workout plan! I am not a runner so I usually walk for about an hour on the treadmill.

    But I never lift weights. I am definitely embarrassed to lift weights at the gym on base, mainly because I am not as skinny as some of the military wives or their husbands. Plus I would feel like they were watching me, because I don't really know what I'm doing. ;)

    Your hair looks beautiful in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice!!! I would like to the gym but too lazy, hehehe... I know I should! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah~~~ having your husband to train you is really a plus for someone who was intimated about working out. I think most of people can persist longer enough to appreciate the full benefits of exercising because they don't have good company or guide. So happy for you. You know, asian girls don't workout usually and it's so hard for me to explain them how much you'd feel if you do at least some exercise, it will not only tone your body, most importantly it makes your mind feel better, more liberated. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful on convincing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as eating healthy, I think people watching me intimidates me. Because then I feel like if I even eat a piece a chocolate or a cookie they suddenly think I've failed(even though it's ok to eat chocolate).

    Looks like you have a great workout schedule!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only reason I work out is so I can eat like a slob.. love to eat.. You look fabulous, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl you rock! Your workout routine sounds very well-rounded and if it's working for you, then that is ALL that matters.

    I often wonder if I am not pushing myself hard enough, not doing enough, or doing too much and then I realize that I am ultimately happy with my body and how it feels, so I just try to do whatever makes me feel good and ignore everything else.

    Sometimes I forget that everyone is different and everyone's bodies do not require the same amount or types of exercise. I think its great that you've found what works for you and you stick to it.

    Way to go girl!

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Gandhi quote and your workout!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great workout! You look cute - not cheesy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute pic! I am so impressed you do cardio every morning. I SO wish I could do that - but I am just not a morning person at all. I would say that lifting at the gym intimidates me the most. I just feel more comfortable doing cardio. Even though I worked at a gym in high school - I have never found a lifting routine that I stick too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great workout! I have to do my cardio in the morning, too - otherwise I find a way to get out of it! Plus, it wakes me up. Natural caffeine!

    I've been intimidated in the weight area of my gym, but slooowly I've gotten over it. I know I'll never be one of those people who spends an hour weightlifting (I'd get too antsy), but I go in and do my thang, and now it's a little less intimidating since I can LIFT the weights without falling over. Like they say....practice does make perfect (or almost perfect, in my case). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressive workout! I am definitely intimidated to go to the gym and try to work out at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great post. I used to be really intimidated by treadmills because I was thrown off of one when I was 10. I def agree that it is great to know people don't care what you're doing at the gym so you can just focus on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you hit the nail on the head with all your reasons! I just didn't feel like I knew what I was doing and I thought everyone else was watching me! Now I know that isn't true. One of the most intimidating moments I had though was seeing a guy I went to HIGHSCHOOL with at my gym for the first time. It was like a bad PE class all over again haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I LOVE the elliptical too. I made my hubby get us one:) We have a Life Fitness one and I really like it. I do that in the winter, but I run outside when it is nice. I used to be married to the gym before i got married, but now I just workout out at home or outside. The gym was making me crazy. I wanted to stay there too long and take too many classes, etc. Now I am not as obsessive, which is good for me. We have weights and a ball at home too, so I feel like I get a good workout in. Plus I have most of the classes memorized so I sometimes do those routines, nerdy I know!! Sorry to ramble, but good job on your workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your husband is very useful in both the fitness and nutrition departments! I think what has scared me about working out in the past was just exerting myself to the point of pain or exhaustion, but little by little i have upped the intensity, and look I'm not dead! Just goes to show that you are almost always stronger than you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That is awesome. I wish I had the discipline to get up in the morning and work out. It's a bit too much for me to do in the morning with the munchkin. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. GREAT workouts :) How fun you have a bodybuilding hubby haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post!
    When I first started going to the gym I was intimadated by everything but like you said everyone at the gym is there for themselves they are not concerned about what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the photo! Good point how everyone is in their own little world at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! Looks like you have a strong routine. Kudos to your husband for all his help in making you feel comfortable at the gym.

    The gym intimidated me a lot when I first started going. Then I realized that everyone was more worried about what they were doing and not looking at me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. leslie I'm TOTALLY like you! My favorite of all is the elliptical and I'm SO scared of making a fool out of myself if I try a new sport or physical activity. I'm still intimdated by the weight machines at the gym and overall, just WORRIED that people will be looking at me and judging me. This is such a great post and i'm so happy that you wrote about your "fitness" plan. It certainly gives me something to shoot for and to remind me to stop being so self-conscious about myself!!! :)
    P.s. I haaaaate the treadmill...thanks for the incline tip! I shall try that next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great pic of you!! I know that I really need to start working out before summer's here. I have a really hard time on treadmills... time goes so slow when I'm on it. I'm trying to figure out some type of exercise that would be right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel like I never know what to do, and like peopel are silently laughing at me make a fool of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GREAT post! I think many people are intimidated by the gym and all of the machines.

    you have gorgeous hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. amen! glad you've found your groove :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm super intimidated, especially in the lifting department. It's so nice that your husband knows so much and can help you out!

    Thanks so much for the congrats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. It always great to be able to have a workout buddy that can help you with your workouts, and having your hubby as your workout buddy is awesome! I also love the elliptical, its my favorite machine too!

    Hope your having a great Saturday morning dear. Love ya, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  32. lol! I HATED working out too! any form of exercise and I found tons of excuses to opt out! but then I started running...and REALLY loved the after-feel euphoria of those rushing endorphins after a good sweaty work out! Now I can't live without a day of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Being married to a bodybuilder must be GREAT incentive to hit the gym! What an ideal workout buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lesley - great post. Fitness is so important and a lot of people feel super intimidated by it. Its awesome Erik is able to help you out and I am super jealous - you have your own person trainer!! Can I hire him sometime to make my training plan?
    :-) btw - this is andrea - new blog up- and this time its for real hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thats an awesome post! I am very impressed with your routine! How nice to be married to someone who can answer your questions too!

    I have been intimidated by a lot of things... running, going to the gym alone, learning what foods are best for me.. but i love it once I conquer it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved reading your story. I starting taking group exercise classes when I was 13 and started my life in the gym lifting by 15. It has always been a part of me and thus I've never felt intimidated. IMO it is important for people like me to understand people who felt the way you do. It can be a scary place and I have to admit that I loathe commerical gyms with all the meat heads staring at women. I really prefer rec centers.

    Thanks for sharing your work out. You look fabulous by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections