Sunday, April 5, 2009

More Lifting, More Losing

Hey everyone : ) and Happy Palm Sunday!!

First off, in case you hadn't noticed ... I thought I'd point out that I recently switched my URL to http://www.lesleylivinglife.com.

As you can tell, I haven't been posting as much as normal because I realized that I just couldn't keep up with that! Ha, my life is very busy and it's much easier on myself to not post as often (so if you don't see me on your blog as often as normal, just know that I'm still around ; )

For this post, I thought I'd continue with the fitness theme a little more. After the last post, I realize that pretty much ALL of us have been or are intimidated by some aspect of working out. I think overcoming that is just about realizing that you're not the only one who doesn't know what you're doing! And other people in the gym are probably either intimidated by YOU, or they're just so into their own workout that they don't even know you're there. : )

And to transition this post .... my husband likes to snap random pictures of me occasionally and here is my "you-better-stop-taking-pictures-of-me-punk, but-i-can't-help-but-smile-anyways" face ;) I love my husband ... I always brag about him, but he's worth bragging about!! (Girls, don't settle for less than the best ... there are wonderful guys out there!!! : ) Onto some more fitness ... I was reading an old Women's Health issue and there was an article that perked my interest. As you can tell, I've recently been getting more into lifting and guess what this article was about? Yep, pumping iron. Now all this stuff my husband had been telling me, but it was perfect timing to read because I had just been thinking about it all. (And it helps to get things reaffirmed like that).

As my husband had been telling me that I never knew is that by lifting weights and reducing body fat by having more muscle, it also speeds up your metabolism because muscle, unlike fat, is metabolically active, therefore the more muscle you have, the more calories you're going to loose just don't nothing. As Women's Health said, "replace 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of lean muscle and you'll burn an additional 25 to 50 calories a day without even trying."Here's a couple other stats that I thought were interesting:

"A study in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning research found that women who completed an hour-long strength-training workout burned an average of 100 more calories in the 24 hours afterward than they did when they hadn't lifted weights. At three sessions a week, that's 15,600 calories a year, or about five and a half pounds of fat - without having to move a muscle"

"A recent study at the University of Alabama at Birmingham compared dieters who lifted three times a week with those who did aerobic exercise for the same amount of time. Both groups ate the same number of calories, and both lost the same amount -26 pounds - but the lifters lost pure chub, while about 8 percent of the aerobicizers' drop came from valuable muscle."

So, if you've been wondering about lifting ... there's a few great reasons to try it! ; ) At first, I hated it but I'm beginning to really enjoy it as a part of my fitness routine.

One thing to keep in mind though, is to not short yourself on important workout fuel such as protein. Reason being ... if not fueled properly, you can end up losing muscle along with any fat that you might have lost, bringing you back to where you started. My husband suggests eating one gram of protein for every pound of your body weight that does not come from fat (the average woman's body fat is slightly about 25 percent). So an average women weighing 130 pounds would need around 100 grams of protein a day. (Some good sources of protein I eat are chicken, other lean meats, eggs, and greek yogurt).

And to end the post I thought I'd share my new favorite thing to have for lunch ... this combo is just so good ... I call it Delicious Egg and Cucumber Salad
Contents:
-Spinach leaves
-1/3 of a cucumber chopped into bite sized pieces
-1/3 of a rep pepper
-1 small Roma tomato, chopped
-1 cup brown rice
-2 egg whites, one whole egg, scrambled
-litte bit of an onion, chopped
-Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
-Pepper
-Olive Oil
-Balsamic vinegar

I find this salad to be very filling, balanced, refreshing, and delicious.

I hope you all have a wonderful week leading up to Easter!

I think of the garden after the rain;
And hope to my heart comes singing,
At morn the cherry-blooms will be white,
And the Easter bells be ringing!
~Edna Dean Proctor, "Easter Bells"


41 comments:

  1. wow I didn't know that lifting weights was so good for you & really increases your metabolism. haha

    thats the advice my daddy gives me about boys too! haha

    have a great sundayy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used herbal tea with my oats, not black tea. I thought it might add to the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GLAD TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN!!!

    I strength-train 5 days a week with my trainer, as you know, so of COURSE I'm all for lifting. Hell yes!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy looking salad!

    Lately I've been in a weight lifting funk. I hope I'm out of it soon because I know it's so important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all the reasons why I ADORE pumping iron!! I can't stand cardio what so ever!

    That salad recipe sounds so easy and delicious - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that salad looks so good!
    how did you and your dear husband meet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww you look so cute! love the bangs, they are swooped to the side so perfectly. mine have minds of their own.... eek.

    happy palm sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha- I just put up pretty much the same announcement- daily blogging was just wayyyyy too much for me! Cute pic of you- love your relationship with your husband!! What a great salad (you know I can't get enough salads)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awh, your husband is so darn cute! LOL
    And yah, love your new blog address!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats to have your own domain! yes, life is busy and daily posting isn't easy! We all understand. as long as you don't disappear forever, I can forgive you :)
    I like so much this "Girls, don't settle for less than the best ... there are wonderful guys out there!!! : )" sooooo true! I'd wait thousands of years more to just find mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad looks really great!

    Thanks for encouraging me to keep lifting (and to include more of it in my workout)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great insights on lifting. I use to hate it too, and sometimes I admit, I still whine through it, but I do see myself so much stronger and it really makes a HUGE difference in my running endurance.

    Yummy salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good title for your blog :)

    And the combo name sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats on the new url! I noticed that the other day but second guessed myself and thought maybe thats what it has always been. lol
    those definitely sound like great reasons to lift!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blog! I added you to my Google Reader immediately so I don't miss a thing :) Thank you for the recipe - it looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you familiar with Body for Life? It's a body building contest, and I actually did it for about 8 weeks in a row. It's basically 12 reps of each muscle group with increasingly heavier weights (whatever you can handle) I know a lot of people think the results are fake, but I don't think they are. Its eating clean and pumping iron with a little cardio on the side.

    Check out their site at www.bodyforlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still waiting for Mr. Wonderful. Although I've almost given up. LOL I've resigned to being single forever. Ok, but enough about me...

    Thanks for the fitness post and tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to lift more, meaning "I need to lift period." Thanks for the kick in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the fitness post! It makes me want to start lifting ;)

    You look so cute in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally think weight lifting is important for everyone..men and women. I have been getting back into it after a long hiatus and I remember why I alwasy loved it!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post is wonderful!!! Your point about metabolically active tissue is so important, and little-known - thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and info with us!!

    Loooove the picture!! :-)

    (ooooh, and I can't wait to fix this salad... Wow... Double yum, and so healthful...)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I completely agree...I used to be all cardio all the time (I still like it more, though) :-) and since I've been strength training, the difference in my body is amazing. Why didn't someone tell me long ago that's all it took? lol.

    Your creation looks so yummy! That is my favorite Mrs. Dash flavah. I could put it on EVERYthing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great muscle, lifting advice! i am trying to do more weight training myself!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hehe--there is also an article on pumping iron in the latest issue of Women's Health. How funny. Thanks for the reminder--I need to pay more attention to lifting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great salad. I make something similar but using hard-boiled eggs.

    Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're salad sounds really good! Well, I guess it's time to dig out my weights. Hmm... I think they're in the shed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for all the weights info! i did regular weight training last summer and noticed a huge difference in my arms and abs especially. i've gotten away from it lately and posts like these are just what i need to motivate me further, so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. this post makes me want to lift! i hate lifting weights, but its soo good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Lesley!!! I miss you! Love the hair! it's blonde again:) So pretty either way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely post AND salad! i like your "you better stop it but I have to smile" face!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great photo of you!

    First time at your blog..love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there, just stopping by your blog! Great advice...I need to incorporate more lifting into my workouts but it definitely intimidates me. The article is definitely incentive though!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love to move, so I do love cardio, but I may have to give lifting a try. I need to get rid of my twig arms!

    Your salad looks great. Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  34. great post! thanks so much for this info!

    hope you are doing well! you are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  35. congrts on the new blog address!
    I hear you on the lifting...but I still HATE it. I'm just such a cardio girl, and lifting weights just bores me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very interesting information about lifting. Just more reasons to do more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post and I completely agree. For awhile I would run all the time not see many changes in my body. Ss soon as I started lifting regularly - I dropped inches.

    ReplyDelete
  38. ive been blog slacking too- sometimes life gets in the way- which isnt a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections