Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf, Apple Carrot Salad, and Life Made Liveable

Hello! : )

Time to post again! Sorry I haven't been around as much, which means I haven't been able to comment on all your lovely blogs near as much! But, I just don't have the time right now. I'm doing my best though and I still loving reading them ; )

Since I haven't posted much food lately, I thought it was about time! Dinner last night was Turkey Meatloaf, Apple-Carrot Salad, and brown rice. I don't like making meatloaf much because it takes so long to cook, but last night I did and it was very tasty! Here's is my thrown together, delicious recipe for Salsa Turkey Meatloaf:
Ingredients:
-1 lb. lean ground turkey meat
-half of large onion, chopped
-1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
-2 eggs
-1 original light Laughing Cow cheese wedge
-1 T regular hummus
-1/4 cup ketchup
-Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
-pepper

Directions:
-Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and place into a loaf pan. Spread a little additional ketchup on top of mixture and bake for about an hour (or more) until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. To go along with the meatloaf, I experiments with two things I had a lot of ... carrots and apples and came up with this Apple & Carrot SaladIngredients:
-A bag of shredded, or thinly sliced carrots (all I had was baby carrots so I just chopped a whole bunch of those up but using a pre-chopped/shredded bag would be much faster as well as would chopping large carrots)
-2 apples, finely chopped
-1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
-1/4 cup pine nuts/almond mixture
-1/4 cup Apple Cider vinegar
-4 T Balsamic Vinegar
-2 T lemon juice
-3 T Agave nectar
-Cinnamon
-All Spice
Directions:
-On medium high heat, combine chopped carrots and apples with apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Let heat up for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, spinach, agave nectar, cinnamon and all spice and stir until apples and carrots and slightly tender. Add nut mixture, stir, and move all ingredients into large serving bowl. Place in refrigerator, let cool, and serve cold.

After dinner, Erik and I did some TaeBo together. Ha, this was our first time doing TaeBo (we ordered 6 VHS tapes for like 8 dollars off of EBay) ... and man, it's a workout! I think we'll enjoy doing this together on some of the nights we don't lift. And before I finish this post there's a few blogs I'd like to share with you. First off, one of my lovely friends I went to high school (and grade school, in fact) with, Andrea, just recently started a blog that I'm very excited about!! : ) So, go give her a visit and say hi at The BOULDer Bite!

Secondly, if you have some time to read something thought provoking and very good, and in light of this Holy Week before Easter, check out one of my absolute favorite blogs to read and it's most recent post entitled Life Made Liveable, written by the pastor of my church, Brian Zahnd. And my ending quote will be an excerpt from it, in describing what salvation looks like:

"We should reconcile people to God, we should reconcile people to one another, we should heal the sick, we should elevate the poor, we should set the captive free, we should bring justice to the oppressed, we should do good work, we should play enthusiastically, we should beautify the world, we should work for peace, we should work for prosperity, we should get married, we should raise children, we should compose music, we should write novels, we should paint masterpieces, we should create art, we should educate ourselves and others, we should study God’s creation, we should study the stars, we should study the sand, we should live beautiful lives, we should celebrate human existence, we should climb mountains, we should swim in the ocean, we should love, we should laugh, we should live, we should confer dignity upon one another, we should worship and work and wonder, and we should do all these things to the glory of God."
-brian zahnd-

I truly hope you're all having a terrific week!!! : )

44 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipes and blog links! I loved the end quote from your pastor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this turkey meatloaf, it's simple and great to load up on protein! :)
    I'll check out these links! :D
    have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie! What a fabulous looking dinner! I agree- meatloaf takes toooo long to cook- but its darn delicious! Great apple/carrot salad- I will have to try this. Hope your week is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I sort of hate the idea of meatloaf because it looks kind of gross, but I secretly love it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do NOT apologize, Lesley - just post when you can!! And take care :-)

    Great recipes, thanks for sharing them!! That salad looks particularly delish.

    Tae Bo!! Love Billy Blanks, haha.

    Happy Easter to ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That meatloaf looks amazing! I've never made meatloaf - I've always been scared to. You are SO creative!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great, my husband always asks for turkey meatloaf. I'll have to try this version next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have totally tried that Tae Bo DVD too! And yes it is a workout. One time I was trying to do it and my dad walked in the room and just burst out laughing at me. haha.

    Hope your having a great day girl, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apple/carrot salad sounds good! Have a great Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm hungry for meatloaf! :) I've never made it with ground turkey, that sounds like a healthier option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TaeBo sounds hardcore - that DVD looks intense!!! o_0

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a fan of meatloaf. YUM! And WOO HOO on the Tae Bo. I actually used to have some VHS copies that I would work out to in my apartment! HA! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a seriously lovely quote to ponder before easter, i think it's my fave holiday :D So spring-y and happy. I used to go to Billy Blank's studio in the Valley with my friends in college- HE is such a bad ass I've never sweated so much in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope YOU are having a terrific week too! that carrot apple salad looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quote is amazing, thank you for sharing. Just what I needed to hear this AM.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of the apple/carrot salad with the meatloaf! I love turkey meatloaf and it seems like that recipe would go really well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Billy Blanks!! I have a bunch of his work out tapes and it always makes me happy!

    Your meatloaf looks great! You can also try making "mini" meatloaves by placing the meat in a muffin tin and baking it that way, so it won't take as long. I think it only takes 20-25 minutes doing it that way. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. no probz! i enjoy reading whenever you do post. i hate meatloaf and since i was raised a vegetarian, i was never exposed to it, and i went to a friends house for dinner when i was little and her mom had made it and i took one look and said "no thanks"

    ReplyDelete
  19. you do whatcha gotta do girl :) that apple carrot salad looks deliiiiiiiiish

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we might be twins or something :)
    Last night for dinner I used ground turkey and brown rice too, but made enchiladas!

    Btw, I have those Taebo workouts in video tape form :) I haven't done them in ages though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the apple carrot salad, delish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am with you, I like meatloaf but it does take forever to cook! Last night I made one and instead of putting it in a loaf pan I made little mini loafs (think, burger size patties haha) and put them on a baking sheet. Like 20 minutes later they were done and every piece was like an end piece which happens to be my favorite part of meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made a turkey meatloaf and it wasn't the best. I am going to give it another shot. thanks. you and your husband are too cute. love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to hear from you again Lesley!

    As always, thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes and insightful reads. I look forward to hearing your posts everytime you write something new! :)

    Hope you are doing well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic quote at the end. I hope you are good-busy and am so happy you're still posting!

    The meatloaf looks great. I've been wanting to try to make a vegetarian meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete
  26. MMM the meatloaf looks great! I always want to make it but rarely find a recipe that intrigues me. This definitely does!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautiful, inspiring quote! Thank you for sharing uplifting Easter inspiration with us...

    Your meatloaf is gorgeous! I love that you included hummus - such a great idea!

    TaeBo rocks!! YEA! :-)

    Happy Easter! Wishing you a joyous, peaceful, beautiful holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Easter to you!

    I have the old 3-vhs set of Tae bo! It really is a great workout! I haven't done it in ages.
    Your recipes look FABULOUS! Wow!

    I want to check out your friends blog too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your meatloaf looks awesome! I hope youre taking care of your busy self!

    ReplyDelete
  30. take your time! :)
    your meatloaf looks nom!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmm, the salad looks great! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a great idea Lesley, it's healthier as well.
    Cheers,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks like one delicious dinner. I have been really busy too, thus not getting around to comment much either. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You make meatloaf actually look delish! :-)

    Love the quote at the end of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  35. omg i used to LOVE tae BO!! hahahaha billy blanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. mm sounds delicious :)
    love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  37. that apple/carrot salad looks awesome :) what a delicious meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh yeah, it's not ALWAYS feasible to post everyday!! Whenever you can we'll be here!! :)

    Love the turkey meat loaf. I don't think we've ever made it that way, gotta try it!!

    And TaeBo looks downright scary. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really enjoyed that quote. Thanks for sharing it. I hope you have a blessed and beautiful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. TaeBo sounds like so much fun. I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  41. it has been too long since I have made turkey meatloaf - your recipe sounds delicious. hope you have a wonderful easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Look at all these comments!! It's no surprise, though, since you're such a doll! The meatloaf looks so yummy! Mushrooms and hummus?!! I must try it. I actually made meatloaf last night, which just happens to be the second time ever in my life, and the first time was about four years ago! It was a cajun version which turned out quite well (although it sort of fell apart, guess I'm not very meatloaf savvy). Hope you're having a fantastic day, Les!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections