Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunday-side up

Well, Sunday it was 93 degrees, which was awesome, but unfortunately, spring didn’t get the memo to stay that warm and today was cold and super windy!

One of these days it’ll remember how warm it’s supposed to be … one of these days.  Then I can take pictures like this once again with the sun shining warm on my face!imageBrunch in-a-hurry

Funny story …. we take turns at our church bringing brunch/snack items on Sunday mornings.  I had it in my head that our turn was the second week of April (but, of course, didn’t write it down!)  So Sunday morning, on the first week of April, I was sitting at my computer getting a little work done before church when Erik comes running in. His phone had died on Saturday, and he didn’t charge it and check his messages until Sunday morning, in which we discovered it was our turn THIS Sunday … as in two hours from that moment.

Thoughts of prepackaged foods and fattening store-bought donuts swam in my mind, but that just wouldn’t work …. after all, Erik reminded me, I have a healthy living food blog, and that’s just not who we are!

Erik and I quickly decided it was time to get creative, and fast!!  I started Google’ing muffin recipes and Erik scanned the kitchen for perspectives.  And somehow, with no time to spare whatsoever, we actually pulled off figuring out what to make, making three brunch dishes using the items we had in our kitchen, and getting ready for church all in under two hours! My kitchen was left in shambles!!BLiterally, that’s how we left it, ha.

My contribution ended up being two dozen mixed berry muffins:BBBBBI whipped them together, stuck them in the oven, went and got ready at my all-time fastest pace, and helped Erik finish his brilliant creation.  Erik seriously comes up with the best ideas ever!  See how awesome his creation looks??AAnd he thought of this in about 2 minutes.  I think he needs to be on Chopped!

Anyways … it consisted of a small toasted round piece of bread topped with cream cheese, a seasoned sunny-side up egg, a fresh basil leaf, and some caramelized onions. So good!
AA AAA
You can barely see it, but we also brought small pieces of bread to dip in an impromptu mixed-berry jam created by microwaving frozen mixed berries, and adding agave nectar.  It was a great combination!

Time to tackle the kitchen

After church, we grabbed a delicious lunch at Westside Local, and then we came home and I tackled the kitchen disaster.

Much better!!!B1
Fresh Juice

Kitchen cleaning in the 93 degree weather, with all the windows cracked open, was followed by a cold glass of fresh juice.A
In the mix:

  • 1 apple
  • 3 large carrots
  • 1 lime
  • A large handful of spinach

I first juiced the carrots, apple, and lime, then added the juice to a blender with the spinach and some ice to make it more smoothie-like.AAPerfect Sunday afternoon drink! (Or any afternoon, really, ha).

Today, I got to play hooky from work because my friend who recently moved far away to CA was in town, and we got to hang out all day.  It was great seeing her!!

Have you ever had to make food in an unexpected hurry??

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections