Monday, April 11, 2011

Lunch in the sun, Eden Alley & kitchen failures

What beautiful weather we’re having!

I’ve been anticipating nice weather for so long, now that it’s hear I don’t know what to do with it, ha. I love cold smoothies, flip flops, lunch outside in the sunlight, warm evening walks, etcetera!

KC Juice

I started my weekend with by going to World Market and picking up some new fun kitchen items (in which I’m sure you will be seeing in various upcoming blog pictures).  But first, I had some KC Juice.

C CC

I got my favorite smoothie, the “big apple” which consists of primarily apples, bananas, and frozen yogurt.  I was going to put wheatgrass in it but they were out of the powdered smoothie wheatgrass so I opted for a wheatgrass shot instead.  I always feel extra healthy after a shot of wheatgrass, ha.

Lunch in the Sun

A little later on in the day, Erik and I had lunch at Eden Alley, which is a vegetarian café located on the plaza in KC. They have an awesome menu, and incorporate local and organic ingredients into delicious vegetarian dishes that are also mostly soy free, and easily turned vegan.

A1

Our sunny lunch started out with a cold glass of fresh juice.  I’m not sure what all was in it, but obviously the star of the show was carrots.


A AAAA

Their agave butter served with the bread is really good, especially when being melted by the sun.

CCC AA

I decided on the mandarin salad, which completely hit the spot!

CaptureB 

The beets and mandarin oranges tasted perfect! Erik went with a pasta dish.  We smelled the garlic from a mile away, ha, but that’s just the way he likes it.

BB

We decided that we don’t go to Eden Alley enough. We always love it there, and for their vegetarian menu, there’s so many delicious options!
Eden Alley Cafe on Urbanspoon

Kitchen Failure

I hate it when things go wrong in the kitchen! It often makes me feel like a kitchen failure, but I have to realize that just comes with the territory.  Here’s two prime examples of things gone wrong:

We had homemade pasta again on Sunday night.  We decided to try out a penne type pasta with an attachment we had, and it didn’t work out too well.

BBB

Don’t let this picture deceive you.  It didn’t taste good.  The pasta was super heavy, and got dry quickly.  On top of that the meatballs were drier than a bone and way over seasoned.  We were troopers, and ate it anyways because when you're hungry, you’re hungry!

I then thought I could redeem this failed meal with a delicious chocolaty dessert made in my cute new little ramekins. MAJOR FAIL.

BBBB

As you can see, they didn’t rise AT ALL, and the taste was nothing less than horrible. I mean, they were take-one-bite-and-immediately-throw-it-away horrible. It was a major bummer.  They sure looked good, ha.

I was attempting to make this recipe on Clean Eating Magazine’s website, and even followed the directions exactly. It made me feel better to see in the comments section that others had the same problem though … I’m not the only one!

I plan to go redeem myself just as soon as I hit “publish” on this post, with some trusty standby chocolate cupcakes, but with a little twist tonight. I know cupcakes won’t fail me!

image
What’s your biggest kitchen disaster?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections