Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jackfruit

Check out our little deck birdies now!

I went outside last night to water some plants and I was shocked to see the birds up and about, so big! It’s like they grew 3 inches over night.

11 bird

Mom is as protective as ever (if not more), and I imagine these little guys flying away any day now. I don’t know how long it usually takes for them to fly, but I guess time will tell!

Until then, we will stay afraid to go onto our deck lest mom spread her protective wrath upon us!

Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Pitas

We bought some Ezekiel brand pitas the other day and we have been putting them to excellent use. I love how they help make such a quick and easy meal.

11 sp 1

This meal was a vegan version of one of our longtime favorites, Spicy Yam & Ground Turkey tacos.

Basically, I followed the recipe but used black beans instead of turkey, and added more sweet potatoes. Note: next time I will add more jalapeños. The extra sweet potatoes really drowned out the kick.

Stuff that pita with the sweet potato mixture, some vegan cheese, fresh tomatoes and guacamole and you’re good to go! Served along sautéed broccoli, zucchini squash and mushrooms:

11 sp 2 11 sp 3

Jackfruit

I mentioned earlier this week how we hunted down a jackfruit after eating vegan jackfruit based meals at FUD. We had never heard of jackfruit until eating at FUD, so I’m assuming I’m not the only one.

What is jackfruit?
-- Jackfruit is a species of tree that is part of the mulberry family
-- Native to parts of Southern and Southeast Asia
-- It can be a great meat substitute; the flesh of the jackfruit is starchy, fibrous and is a source of dietary fiber.
-- They’re huge, see?

image

My plan was to do a recipe similar to this. As you can tell, it very closely resembles meat, and looks delicious!

Buuuut …. our jackfruit is very sticky. One thing we didn’t realize is that most “meat” jackfruit recipes use very unripe jackfruit, because the more ripe it is, the stickier it becomes and doesn’t work with a savory dish. (And I mean STICKY). By the looks of it, it seems most people use canned jackfruit as well.

11 jackfruit

So we don’t really know what we’re doing, but we think this is too sticky to use like planned and I read from many sources that it will NOT work as a "meat" is too ripe. So, for now we have not concurred the jackfruit, ha. You live, you learn!

But mark my words, our adventures with jackfruit are not over yet!

11 jackfruit 1

Have you ever used jackfruit? Fill me in on any jackfruit secrets!

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections