Sunday, October 24, 2010

What’s different about us

Okay, now to reveal what’s different about us … no one guessed it correctly.  We got new dishes, couldn’t you tell!?!

Kidding. Only kidding.

Actually … most of you guessed it right.  Erik and I have been, as Lindsey so beautifully put it, “vegheads”, ha, for about a month now.

I’m not even sure how it all came about but I suppose it’s for a variety of reasons … 
One:  We don’t have a lot of any grass fed/hormone free meats in our area (unless we want to drive at least 45 minutes … where it’s still pretty $$$)
Two:  We’ve been watching a lot of food/animal documentaries on instant Netflix, haha. It’s true.  Those ruin you!
Three:  For fun. It was actually Erik’s initial idea, and I thought it sounded like a fun food experiment so we figured “why not?” and went with it.

A month later, we’re both loving it, and haven’t missed meat one bit.  Funny how that works!  We’ve had fun with it thus far. I think I’ve actually enjoyed cooking more, it’s easier and involves less grocery shopping.  Especially with the addition to our delivered organic produce that I talk about all the time, we don’t really need that many groceries.  Speaking of which … what we had to work with this week:A--1 Butternut squash
-1 Carrots bunch
-1 Cauliflower
-1 Pie pumpkin
-1 lb Baby bok choy
-3 Bosc pears
-1 Roasting (mild) peppers
-1 Romaine lettuce
-2 Avocado
-5 Baker russet potatoes
-4 Bartlett pears
-2 Cucumbers
-4 Fuji apples
-4 Jonagold apples
-5 Valencia oranges
-8 Bananas
-4 Roma tomatoes

Add some quinoa, beans, and legumes to that and you’ve got some simple, and great tasting vegetarian meals in the making! ; )

Enter quinoa and veggie stuffed acorn squash:AA AAA See what I mean?  Delicious, nutritious, and as simple as baking a squash, cooking some quinoa, sautéing some veggies, and mixing them together.

As far as our vegetarian eating goes, we don’t make a huge deal out of it, we just probably won’t be eating meat for awhile, or ever, and we’ll continue to have fun with it! : )

Moving on ….AAAA Blue Bird. While in KC yesterday, we stopped at Blue Bird for some lunch.  Above: hummus! 

Below: polenta and veggies.B Delish!

And it wouldn’t have been right if Erik didn’t do some picture posing:BB Haha, I love him.BBBHave a lovely start to you week!! :D

image

P.S. I’ve been attempting to write for Examiner more, as I have failed miserably at it lately!! Here’s the latest few articles, about our vending business: Healthy vending hit Kansas City and a Kansas City Healthy restaurant feature: The Mixx.

17 comments:

  1. Loving the looks of your stuffed acorn squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! While I'm not vegan/ vegetarian anymore (truly label free) I still eat a predominantly vegetarian diet, for many of the same reasons you listed!

    LOL and also - I used the term "veghead" as lovingly as possible. ;) I loved referring to myself as a veghead when I was vegan! Plus, I didn't know if y'all had gone vegan or vegetarian. Regardless - glad you're having fun with it! xo, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lindsey
    Ha, I knew exactly how you meant it, which is why I said used your terminology, I thought it was funny and fitting :)

    And I agree, I'm all for being label free too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. squash makes a perfect little bowl, or nest, whichever <3
    nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stuffed squash looks awesome. Do you have a recipe or did you just kind of put it together? We eat quinoa a lot (because it is cheap and so nutritious) and I would love to mix it up some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful! I found the changeover pretty easy as well when I made it a little over a year ago. And I don't really miss it one bit! I'm not saying I'll never ever go back, but I think it feels good to be veg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!!! I think trying new ways of living is definitely a good thing. It allows us to branch out and explore new foods, new views and new takes on life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on going veg. I've been vegetarian for over 17 years now. That stuffed squash looks so tasty. Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting news! Your dishes (of food) look super tasty. I bet your produce delivery makes it so much easier eating more veggies/fruit. I know mine has made the world of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You inspire me to eat more veggies!! Do feel it's harder to put on muscle now that you are eating less protein? Do you even need more protein do build muscle? I have been confused about that for a while now!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! I guessed it too. I actually looked at your post with all of your beautiful pics of yummy foods, and I guessed you were vegetarian. I really think I could do this, as long as I could still eat dairy. Being a vegan would be much more difficult. I barely eat any meat as it is, so this wouldn't be a huge change for me. It's nice to have local organic fresh produce delivered to your home! How convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehehe.... I guessed it! :)
    vegetarian food is really easy to prepare and you can always eat fresh food instead of leftovers! that's what I like the most about eating vegetarian food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so great for you guys! I often say I think I could go vegetarian with the exception of fish...I love fish!

    That squash looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @jaime I think Erik and I have both lost muscle but I don't know that it's so much from less protein but less food all together. We also haven't been working at as much, thus not eating as much. As far as protein, we still eat quite a bit, not a ton less than before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for vegetarianism!! And you're so right - those documentaries will really do you in:)

    I love that last picture of you - purple is your color:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. vegheads can still eat delicious food, right?! :) love the idea of quinoa in acorn squash.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections