Thursday, October 14, 2010

Veggies, Apple Butter & Fall

I’m so glad the weekend is practically here!  The week has actually flown by but the weekend just doesn’t ever get here too fast. 

Everyone may be sick of seeing a giant pile of produce on my kitchen counter by now, but here are some more! Ha.  I just love Door to Door Organics.  It’s made me very motivated to cook, and the quality of produce has yet to disappoint us.AI don’t have an “official” list this week but here’s the gist of it:

  • Lettuce
  • 4 artichokes
  • Sweet potatoes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 4 oranges
  • 7 pears
  • 6 apples
  • Bananas
  • Carrots
  • Kale
  • Onions
  • Broccoli
  • Green and purple bell peppers
  • Tomatoes

We eat a lot.  But I guess if you’re going to eat a lot of something, produce is a good pick ; )

We picked up a few groceries tonight (not any fruits or veggies, mind you) and here’s a major highlight … apple butter!
AAApples, squash, browns, oranges, golden yellows, warm tea, crunchy leaves, crisp mornings …. Fall.

Although I’m  tired of Larabars, I saw peanut butter chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough and had to try them.  One thing about Larabars, they really do taste like what they say they will.  That means this baby is going to be a good one ----> 
AAA And next up … our new favorite milk.  For awhile we’ve been stuck on almond milk but have lately made the switch back to good ole cow’s milk of the 1 or 2% version. 

Enter …. Shatto:
LLL BB Shatto Milk Company is a local Kansas City area farm that sells cow’s milk with no growth hormones.  On top of that, they use glass bottles that can be returned and reused, and the milk tastes awesome! 

I find myself drinking milk with random things such as pasta and burritos and just for fun … and I love it!

Finally, dinner is served:BBB
Crockpot veggie and bean stew

Mmm!  It was very simple really, throw these ingredients into a crockpot:

  • Cubed sweet potatoes
  • Broccoli, chopped
  • Carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (suggested brand w/ BPA free can: Eden Organic) 
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup lentils
  • 2 cups quinoa (dry)
  • 2 chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 to 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 TB minced garlic
  • Chili powder, generous amount
  • Garlic & herb seasoning
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Water, filled to top of crock pot once veggies are in

Feel free to add any other random veggies in the mix, it’s hard to mess this one up! Cook in crockpot on high for 5 hours, or until ingredients tender (those darn sweet potatoes took forever to cook!) 

Eat and enjoy : )

image

8 comments:

  1. Purple bell peppers? I've never heard of such a thing! And your stew looks seriously outstanding!I need to make this. I don't cook enough with quinoa. I agree with you on the laras- except the carrot cake. Not sure what happened with that one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore all of fall's veggies. What a great idea to put them all into the crock and call it a soup! I need to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um - yum. That soup looks so good. I'm loving all your fall veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your produce looks amazing! I get organic fruits and vegetables delivered to me weekly too and it totally makes cooking and eating more produce so much easier. Plus it tastes even better when it's local and organic.

    That's really cool that your department has an offical twice a day stretch program. I would love to start that at my work, just need to get people on board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks amazing, I think I need to make it soon :) I love apple butter!! Have a great week.

    Jen
    http://jenslosinit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO jealous of your veggie bounty! I've been trying to find a CSA to join so I can get my counters looking like yours in this picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're still liking the door to door delivery for your veggies! That'd be a huge help for me to have my groceries show up at my door haha! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections