Monday, October 4, 2010

Juicing + Sloppy Lentils

This weekend I decided to utilize my crock pot.  Why don’t I use this genius invention more often?? It’s so easy to make something delicious with little to no effort.

Friday night while Erik and I were out, my crock pot made us sloppy lentils.  I saw this recipe, or something similar to it, floating around some blogs recently and bookmarked one of them for a time such as this. B

I was really happy with the results.  I think next time I might sub half of the lentils for black beans, though. Lentils are so fiber packed it’s almost a little much in my opinion.  I adapted this recipe.

Sloppy Lentils

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 15 oz can diced tomatoes (drained),
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

  • Throw all ingredients in a crock pot, cook on low for approximately five hours. Serve with bun and  side of choice.

And it made for awesome easy leftovers the next day:BB
image

“Truth without beauty can turn into arrogant condescension; goodness without beauty can turn into finger-wagging moralism. Beauty matters." –brian zahnd-

7 comments:

  1. Oh this looks great, I love my juicer and crock pot. I need to try these sloppy lentils. Hope all is well. I've been MIA in blog commenting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe!!! I have a bag of lentils but I never know what to do with them. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love snobby joes or sloppy lentils. so much great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't crock pots the best?! I want to try making this..I love making venison sloppy joes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a crock pot addict! Its so wonderful to be able to throw a meal together quick and have it hot & ready at dinner time! Your lentils look like they turned out fantastic! I make a quick version of this using canned beans often

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a juicer AND a crockpot! Those are two kitchen gadgets that I will be adding to my wedding registry list (no, I'm not engaged, but I'm hoping to be soon!). I think these two gadgets are just so convenient and like you said, leftover fruits and veggies can actually be put to use with the juicer! It's the perfect invention.

    Love the sloppy lentils!! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want a crock pot now, goodwill often has them. The best have a heavy glass lid that helps encourage even cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections