Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nebraska, Fresh Fruit and Veggies, Summer

Hello bloggie friends, "real life" friends and brother Delmar (ha;)!

Well, this weekend the hubby and I went to good ole southwest Nebraska to visit my family. After driving six hours through a torrential downpour, including ferocious looking green clouds with a little bit of hail, we made it! (Gotta love those KS/NE thunderstorms).

My mom is pretty much the best gardener I know and it was fun seeing her prosperous garden and all her beautiful flowers and cherry tree. We came home with a cooler that included four dozen farm fresh eggs, some freshly picked and pitted (thanks to my mom and her cherry tree) cherries, frozen sliced peaches, picked frozen blackberries, and frozen corn. (Did I mention that I love good old Nebraska-picked, cut-right-off-the-ear-of-corn-into-a-bag-and-put-in-the-freezer corn?? Because I do! It's way better than any corn you can buy at the store). Anyways ... here's some weekend-at-NE recap pictures. First off, my mom's garden full of wonderful veggies. Freshly picked beets, yellow zucchini squash, red potatoes, cucumbers, an onion, and kohlrabi. (Does anyone else love kohlrabi?? My mom and I were talking about how not many people seem to know what it is, but we love it!) On Saturday night, we had fresh veggies and meat cooked on the Traeger grill (I had salmon and it was tasty). My sissy and I played cards. There were a lot of animals around! First off, my parents cat and dog, Wilber and Harley. Then, my sister's dogs, Charlee and Norm and finally our dogs, Rocky and Adrian. It makes for an amusing time.
Rocky Adrian Big Norm, little Charlee and Harley in the back And finally Wilber (Thanks, Mom, for the pictures I stole from you off of Facebook ; )

The weekend went by fast and here were are in the middle of another week! But flying by or not ... isn't summer great?? ; )

(Note: my promised fitness/water post is still on it's way!) Hope you are are enjoying your summer and indulging in fresh fruit, veggies, and wonderful weather : )


God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. --Martin Luther

9 comments:

  1. woo hoo I get to leave the first comment :)
    Looks like a fun weekend: those vegetables look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a huge garden! That's awesome. I love home grown produce, it is 10 times better than the grocery store ;)

    Looks like a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, that is one amazing garden. And I thought my dad was a little crazy by turning every possible square food of their backyard into his garden. It's so wonderful to have parents that can grow these wonderful veggies for us, isn't it!

    I'm so glad to see that you had a wonderful time with your family. You and your sister are so gorgeous! Love ya girl, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your mom really has a green thumb. That's so cool!

    You and your sister are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you and your sissy are such pretty girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great garden! I hope to have one that looks 1/4 that good some day. What a fun trip. We drove through the pouring rain last night too- it stunk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww bbq and veggies, and pets...is it summer or what!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend!!

    GREAT looking garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the quote at the end of your post!

    Your mom's garden looks fantastic and the sleeping pups are too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections