Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Quick & easy mini cinnamon rolls

Hello, everyone! Let’s get down to business. It’s cinnamon roll time!

These are great, especially if you’re in a hurry, because there is no yeast required, thus no time needed for dough to rise. Just throw the ingredients together, roll your dough flat, add cinnamon, sugar and coconut oil, roll up, slice and bake. The directions may or may not look intimidating but, I promise, it’s easier than it looks!

These cinnamon rolls are absolutely delicious and with the use of whole wheat flours, sucanat as sweetener, almond milk as liquid, and coconut oil instead of butter, they are a much healthier cinnamon roll alternative.

mini cinnamon rolls 4

Quick & Easy Mini Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from Vegan Pandamonium
Makes about two dozen rolls

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup melted coconut oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other milk)
  • 1 cup sucanat (or other sugar)
  • 2 tablespoon cinnamon

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven at 450 degrees.
  • Combine flour, salt and baking powder.
  • Add 1/2 cup (rest is used later) coconut oil and all the milk, stir until stiff and then work dough with hands until soft.
  • Form dough into a ball and place on slightly floured surface.
  • Roll out into rectangle, brush on the rest of the coconut oil and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  • From the long side, tightly roll up your dough. Cut into 1/2 to 1 inch rolls.
  • Place rolls in greased baking dish. I used a 9 x 13 glass dish, and it seemed to be a good size.
  • Bake for about 13 minutes. Spread on icing, and enjoy!

Notes: Makes about 24 small to medium sized cinnamon rolls. Half recipe and bake in a pie dish if you want a smaller batch.

Icing:

  • Mix together about a cup of powdered sugar (I used homemade sucanat powdered sugar) and 2-6 tablespoons almond milk (or milk of choice).
  • Pour in about a tablespoon almond milk at a time and stir. Keep adding a little more milk until you reach desired consistency. I like ours fairly thick so I don’t use much, but it’s completely whatever you prefer!
  • If you want it to have a little more flavor, feel free to add about a half teaspoon vanilla extract.

mini cinnamon rolls 5mini cinamon rolls 2

Here they are pre and post oven:

mini cinnamon rollsmini cinnamon rolls 1

I think this might just make a perfect Thanksgiving breakfast treat!

mini cinnamon rolls 7

11 comments:

  1. These look amazing! And totally like the yeast kind but so much easier! bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for yeast-free! These look AMAZING. I'm going to "pin" them, because now that I'm on Pinterest, I see what the big deal about it is. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look AMAZING. I saw your law post hinting about this and was sure to check back! So glad I did!! Cinnamon Rolls are my weakness, and now there is a healthy (and fast) option :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that you posted these! They look so easy and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely delicious. I've never made a vegan recipe... I think I'm going to have to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound SO good! :) Are you going to be back home at all for the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made these! With a number of adaptations, as usual :) Matt and I both loved 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so lucky I got to try these! So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, these sound sooo good!! What did you use for icing?!
    I love that they are so simple!! Do you think you could just use all flour -rather than pastry too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe these don't require yeast. They look amazing! I'm definitely going to test this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections