Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Homemade dairy-free hot chocolate

Brr! The weather is cold, dreary and rainy in Kansas City today. There was talk of snow flurries but it looks like it’s just going to be rain. Don’t tell anyone, but I kind of like it!

I don’t claim to like the cold but I’m sort of a sucker for the coming festivities and warmth of the holiday seasons. Anywho … today’s weather called for a warm and tasty beverage!

Before I started eating healthy, I was a non stop hot chocolate guzzler in the cold months. I would literally have 4+ cups a day. I’m talking instant hot chocolate from a huge tub. I didn’t realize at the time just how many grams of processed sugar and other ingredients I was consuming, and I didn’t care!

Long story short, I ended up switching to tea when I made the switch to “real” foods and now it’s my favorite hot beverage all year round. But part of me is still nostalgic for this warm chocolate beverage. Thus, I thought it was about time it makes a comeback in a much healthier way!

Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
**Makes about 4 cups of hot chocolate

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
  • 1/4 cup vegan friendly cane sugar (I imagine about any sweetener of choice would really work here)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions:

  • Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan, stir and heat on medium high for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

And there we have it … warm chocolaty comfort in a mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections