Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cup of joy

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family, and good food!

I’ve been loving this extra time off work, and my relaxing mornings with no alarms, bright sunshine, and warm cups of joy:A

Also known as … warm chai tea.

Erik and I spent Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law’s and she was nice enough to make us a non traditional, vegetarian meal of delicious appetizers and lasagna, yum!!  I didn’t miss the turkey, in fact that was never my favorite part about Thanksgiving anyways.  My contribution was peanut butter cookies:

AA

They were decent, but could have been sweeter, and baked a few minutes less!
AAAAAAA 
And I’m sure none of us have had enough food lately, so it’s only logical that it’s recipe time!!

Erik and I have made this several times now, I talked about it in my last post, and we love.  So without further ado …

A

Grown up Mac ‘N Cheese

Ingredients:
- Penne pasta
- Chopped medium onion
- Cheese of choice (we actually used Provolone, and it tastes delish!)
-1 vegetable bouillon cube or about 2 cups broth
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Kale or other greens such as spinach or chard
- Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Boil a pot of water for the Penne, which will need to be cooked al dente.
- Sautee chopped onions and minced garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Pour dried Penne pasta into boiling water.  Cook al dente.
- Add vegetable broth and chopped kale to sauté mixture, and let cook down a little.

AA

- When pasta is complete, pour into baking dish, and add a small layer of cheese.AAA

- Pour in vegetable mixture, and the another layer of cheese. Add salt, pepper, and other seasonings of choice.
AAAA B
- Pop it in the oven for thirty minutes, or until cheese becomes golden brown, and voila!BB

We’ve been on a huge pasta kick lately, and this fits the bill perfectly.

I got up way too late this morning, because Erik and I stayed up way past our bedtime watching season one of Mercy on Netflix.  Therefore, my goal today is to be productive!

What’s on tap for your weekend??

image

12 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving :) Very sweet of the MIL to be accommodating. That mac n cheese seriously looks delicious (I know I already said this ;)), I need to make it. Rest of the weekend? We went to brunch with friends this morning and then got Josh new basketball shoes. I hope to get some Christmas decorating done

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a fantastic tgiving. those cookies sound amazing. I'm having fun hanging out with the fam this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mercy!!! Fantastic show!!

    Jen
    http://jenslosinit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your MIL made a special dish for you guys. That's great. My dad's side always does Italian so I never thought of Thanksgiving and turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet of your MIL!!! thats awesome she is very understanding :) love your pasta cravings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jen I know, we love it too, and I was so sad to find out there is only one season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great looking recipe!
    Hope you have a wonderful Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mac n' cheese looks to die for! I'm already over T-Day leftovers, although we're going to have them one more time tonight. Then I just might have to make this for a nice change of pace. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your man n cheese looks so good! I love the greens in there. I'm always trying to sneak in as many veggies into dishes as I can.

    Glad you had a tasty Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, mac & cheese and mac & cheese with greens ... even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving to me--it's always nice when family accomodates eating situations--and I have to say turkey isn't my favorite either, but I'm not sure I could do without it being that I am such a traditionalist haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections