Sunday, November 21, 2010

Penne two ways

Is it really the end of November? Crazy, but despite the inevitable cold and snow, it’s such a wonderful time of year and it’s been a long fall!!

Anyways … let’s get right to business. 

Sweet potato wrap, anyone?AWe got these at The Mixx the other day just to try something different.  I think next time I’ll get the veggie wrap, because we didn’t love it.  Not enough sweet potato, and the sweet potato was a bit greasy. (Check out my recent Examiner article about The Mixx).

After that wrap, we were pretty thirsty …AAHa, kidding.  All that pop soda is for the vending machines.  I grew up in southwest Nebraska, and I just can’t stop saying “pop”.  Meanwhile, Erik grew up in New York and he likes to make fun of me.  So just for fun’s sake, what do you think: pop or soda?

Food

Erik and I have discovered a wonderful, fast, and delicious way to cook dinner …. together!  The past week one of us has planned the menu for the night, and then we both pitch in chopping, sautéing, and preparing. 

Not only does it go by much faster than one of us doing it, but it tastes better too.  So here’s some of our recent creations:

Stuffed cabbage rollsAThese were filled with quinoa cooked in vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and sautéed carrots, spinach and onions, served with unpictured purple potatoes. 

Butternut squash penneAAAAWe discovered this pasta sauce at Costco the other day, and it sounded way too good not to try.BIt made for a super easy meal too.

Our meal simply involved boiling penne pasta, and heating half of the can of sauce with some water, spinach, and mixed beans. 

Enter … dinner:AAAWe’ve been on a penne kick, because guess what’s next??

Mac ‘N Cheese for Grown Ups

Pre Oven:B  Post oven:BBBThis recipe involved penne, sautéed onions, minced garlic, vegetable stock, kale, and provolone cheese.

It was a winner!!BBBBAnd last but not least …

Raw Raspberry PieAAARecipe to come!

And for tonight … I’m pretty sure some form of pasta is on the agenda once again.  What’s on your plate for dinner tonight?

image

13 comments:

  1. The Mixx is really hit or miss for me. Their salads are ALWAYS good, but the sandwiches and soups are pretty iffy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brie - The more I go there, the more I totally agree. You can't seem to go wrong with a salad, but so far I haven't had much luck with the sandwiches I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- I can't wait for all the recipes! Especially for the grown up Mac n Cheese. I use to say Pop when I lived near San Francisco, now I say soda :) Cooking together is a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much delicious food! I love stuffed cabbage rolls but haven't made them ever. Sad truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, everything looks great. I've never made stuffed cabbage but love cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've been doing a lot of delish cooking!

    That SP wrap looks delish, too, even if it didn't quite live up to your expectations. I just might replicate it for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. costco is amazing like that huh!!
    btw I LOVE YOUR HAIR <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was thinking where are the sweet potatoes! that b'nut pasta sauce sounds amazing, love what you did with that :) and that pie, can't wait to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was born in CA, but have live in MI so long that I now say pop.

    I'm going to have to look for the butternut squash pasta sauce next time I'm at Costco, it looks awesome!!

    Jen
    http://jenslosinit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL!!! I really thought you bought all those soda at first!! I call them soda, but in Singapore, we called them "soft drinks".

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a bummer that the sweet potato wrap wasn't the best..sounds like it could have potential if you made it at home though!! I call it pop here in MN, but of course all my family in Boston calls it soda and always makes fun of us :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweet potato wrap sounds so good. I had one once that had black beans in it too. I need to try and recreate it. It's neither here - I'm from So Indiana and everything is coke whether it's a Sprite, Coke or MountainDew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The idea of that wrap sounds fantastic, I love Sweet Potato + Spinach.. a bet you could make a killer homemade version. And that is totally my kind of mac & cheese.. the problem with living alone though, is if I cook a casserole, I have to eat it for every meal to finished it before it goes bad :p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections