Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Grown-up Mac N "Cheese"

Glad you all liked the looks of the raw raspberry cheesecake from yesterday. I highly suggest you make it very soon!

Now onto a savory dish. A favorite comfort food, all grown up! That’s right, mac n cheese.

I posted a grown up mac n cheese recipe about a year ago but since we’ve been eating vegan, I thought it was about time I spruced it up a bit!

vegan mac n cheese 3vegan mac n cheese 4

Grown Up Mac N Cheese

Ingredients:

  • Whole wheat penne pasta
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube (plus water) or about 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 medium to large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon hemp oil (or other desired cooking oil)
  • 2 large bunches kale, chopped (or other greens such as spinach or chard)
  • Easy cashew cheese, as desired (or your favorite vegan cheese such as Daiya)
  • Sea salt & pepper, to taste

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees
  • Start a pot of water boiling for penne
  • Saute chopped onions and garlic in hemp oil for a few minutes until tender
  • Add pasta to now boiling water, cook al dente.
  • Add vegetable broth and chopped kale to onions and garlic, let cook down until pasta is cooked.
  • Place pasta into large baking dish, add veggie mixture and top with cashew cheese.
  • Bake for 30 minutes, and enjoy!

Notes: There’s really no right or wrong amount of cashew cheese to add, just depends on how creamy you want your dish to be! Also, I added some fresh tomatoes this time around, just because. Feel free to be flexible with this dish, it’s hard to mess up!

vegan mac n cheese 2

Simple and delicious!

I would have added more cheese to mine, trust me, and it would look a lot creamier but unfortunately, I was out of cashews and didn’t realize it until I needed them. Thus, I put in the little tiny bit I had already in the fridge plus a little Daiya cheese I had.
That’s another reason I tossed in some juicy tomatoesWinking smile

vegan mac n cheese 5vegan mac n cheese 6

And now I’m officially in the mood for soup, the ultimate comfort food! And I guess I don’t have to wait much longer, do I??

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections