Friday, May 1, 2009

Recap and Reviews

Hey all!

So I haven't been around much lately ... life gets busy sometimes!

Who's glad it's the weekend???
I am, I am!!

Not much is new is the life of Lesley but I'm still here living ; ) I got my Barney Butter samples the other day and was very excited to try them. My take = I really liked it. My husband's take = he didn't love it. Erik is a peanut butter boy at heart and I think he always will be! haha.

I think ultimately my favorite nut butter is peanut butter also, but cashew butter comes in behind at a very close second. Anyways, back to the Barney ... I love their 90 calorie
packets. It was just enough to put on my morning snack of a toasted piece of Ezekiel bread with this almond butter spread on it topped with a half of a banana. I haven't tried very many different kinds of almond butter but this one was definitely much sweeter than what I was expecting (I suspect this is due to the evaporated cane juice?) I really liked the flavor and it would be nice to have once in awhile but for now, I'm sticking with good old Smuckers natural peanut butter. (plus Smuckers is much cheaper!)

Moving right along ... as I previously mentioned the folks at Amazing Taste offered to send me some of their seasonings to try. (Along with some really nifty recipe cards with some great sounding recipes on them). They "promise you this healthful, all-natural, flavor booster will quickly and easily produce the ultimate in taste, tenderness and juiciness. Amazing Taste is a product that compliments the best of cooks and safeguards the less experienced."

So far, I have tried the
seasoning packet for Burgers (used it with meatloaf) and the seasoning packet for Poultry (with grilled chicken breasts). I thought the flavor came out great. I really like how their seasonings contain no MSG and they use natural ingredients. However, my husband and I don't eat much salt at all and we found that these packets had more salt that expected. For instance the Burger packet contains 170mg sodium per 1/2 tsp (and at 14 servings per packet, that's a grand total of 2380mg sodium :s) Therefore I didn't use nearly all of it because that's way too much sodium for us. I personally wouldn't use the whole packet for 1 lb of meat simply because of all that unneeded salt.

This being said,
they weren't all quite this high in sodium and I checked out their website and it appears as though most of their shaker seasonings contain a little less sodium so I think I would have appreciated them more. All in all, I think I'll stick to seasonings like Mrs. Dash and my trusty staples of seasonings. (Not to mention they don't sell Amazing Taste seaonsings anywhere near me). In case you're interested though, you can order their seasongings online and they can be purchased at any of these locations:And that's about all I have time for right now ... I hope to be back later on this weekend. I'll leave you with what we had for dinner one night last week ... we've been grillin' it up lately and here is some grilled salmon and veggies served with our favorite, brown rice.Ohh, and by the way ... this is officially my 100th post but I'll be celebrating that a little later with my very first giveway, so stay tuned! ; )

"The End"
-Erik Borger-
(I told my husband I just wanted to put a quote at the bottom of my post and then I'd be done and that's what he said : )

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 100th post! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Barney Butter lover through and through :)I love adding the packets to instant oats with yogurt, so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to know that you liked BB! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 100th post!!! I just got my BB samples in the mail too. I'm interested to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almond butter is something that kind of grows on you after awhile. At first I didn't care for it and now I love it. I really the Justin's Nut Butter almond butter. And Trader Joe's was good too!!

    HAHAHAHAHA @ your hubby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh isn't a almond butter kind of guy either. Oh well, more for me!!! Have a great weekend friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so so on the Barney butter- it tastes a little fake to me? Great looking din din and congrats on 100!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really into Barney Butter either. It's just not as...satisfying as Pb.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As weird as this may sound I have never tried BB. I do like Maranatha, but I think I like my PB better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i tihnk im a peanut butter girl at heart - I didnt care much for the barney butter

    ReplyDelete
  11. In BB defense, the crunchy version is better! I wasn't blown away by the packets BUT the packets are pretty handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm... your grilled salmon looks great! i can't wait to get a grill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cashew butter the best. and I don' think any nut butter requires sweetner added to it - that doesn't appeal to me at all. Although having it in a single serve packet sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!
    And ooooooohhh, that salmon looks yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahh, happy 100th post girllll!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Lesley on 100 posts! Your dinner looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the Barney butter too but I will also be sticking to my natural peanut butter! Its the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had Barney butter, very interesting!
    Congrats on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha, congrats on the 100th post. love the quote erik, well done. (thats SO something kyle would say/do too)

    happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel pretty much the same about Barney Butter. It's good, but I prefer the $5 raw almond butter from Trader Joe's.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE how sweet almond butter is! I've tried the Maranatha brand and it is SO GOOD. I'm almost out....sad. :-(

    Congrats on #100!

    ReplyDelete
  22. my thoughts are close on the BB- I got those samples too and thought it tasted just like peanut butter. I like almonds but for how much BB costs -geez- I would stick to my fav too - smuckers all natural ( its been my fav for like 11 years ?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections