Monday, May 10, 2010

Tribute to Rocky, the best dog in the world … we will miss you!

Today is a sad day in our household …

Rocky got hit by a car and killed today : ( She was the best dog in the world!

It’s been a really windy day and the backyard gate opened a crack and the dogs wiggled their way out.  We normally don’t keep them out very long because our other dog, Adrian, is an escape artist as many of you already know. Though they weren’t out for very long this morning, Erik went to check on them and they were gone.  It’s also been pouring rain off and on the whole day, which didn’t help at all. Erik looked for them to no avail. Animal Control called us around noon and told us the news …. and the person who hit her didn’t even stop. Thankfully, they said she definitely died instantly, and didn’t have any pain.

We went and saw her at animal control a few hours later and got her collar.  It was hard … we will miss her so much!! I’m not even sure it’s kicked in yet.  So without further ado, here is my tribute to Rocky, our wonderful German Sheppard who we had for almost three years.

So was such a pretty dog, always had a soft and shiny coat … FFFFFFFFFF
Just a puppy, when we first got her:Picture 116 Picture 118
She went through an awkward stage where her ears were too big for her body and head : )Picture 128   l_8dff248607c76af0273cc6365847075d l_48885bd7158042b366445b7fd44e62b0 l_4039407ce4e35d36d514e344c5dff2d6
One time on the way home from my parents’ house we forgot her leash so had to use a cell phone charger.l_e01345e33d9f40bf32611d4518f780f4 l_f650d0689baba6dff1d8adedb769662c
She was NEVER without a toy (or ten).  We often joked and called her Socky or Socko instead of Rocky because she was constantly finding socks and hauling them ALL over the house.n108000379_30818924_5834

n108000379_30818933_8769

  She was Erik’s best friend, always trying to jump up on his chair or the couch with him and play …IMG_2864   IMG_2867 AAAAAAShe was always or noise-maker at night. Every night before she’d go to sleep, she’d plop down on the ground, lay her head down and sigh a deep breath of relaxation.DPP_0004 ARThe only place she’d let you pet her without getting WAY too excited was on her belly or when she was really tired or if you were Erik ; )DPP_0008 Though Adrian and her had their fights … they were good friends.AAAAA  We named her after the movie …DPP_0005 She was always the best listener and always strived to do EXACTLY what you wanted her to do, when you wanted her to do it. Like if we were working out in the basement and she was getting in the way of the weights, we’d say “kennel up” and up the stairs she’d run.

Slowly, she’d creep her way back downstairs and sit on the stairs to watch us.DPP_0001 Ha, Rocky had another trademark move. When sitting on the couch (right in front of the staircase), she’d grab her toy and run up the stairs and stick her head through the railing right where we were sitting to try and give us her toy.

It always ended up falling behind the couch and she would then whine unceasingly until we got it for her, or handed her another toy.  Often these “toys” would be a miniscule sized twig or receipt or tag that she would somehow find in the house and carry around.FFFFFFFFF   She loved to play!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Her mean face … ha.  She was also known for snapping her teeth when playing. It was always so loud too. You’d hear a really fast “chomp-chomp-chomp”, and it was so funny.ArOCK And she was the best dog when it came to begging. She was always polite and waited her turn (okay, almost always), and didn’t try to take our food like Adrian always does.BBBBBBBBBBB She loved Erik’s random acts of love such as putting hats on her or attaching bubble wrap to her collar. She also had a foot game they’d always play together when Erik was sitting in his chair.IMG_1893 A And the thing we’ll remember most … she was so loyal. Always by Erik’s side … he couldn’t go anywhere without Rocky following. Any time Erik was in the bathroom/shower, etc with the door closed, Rocky would be laying right outside waiting for him. 

She always did outside work with him too, and she LOVED it. She never ran off on her own either (without Adrian to instigate her), just always wanted to be by people. AAA  IMG_1840(sigh) … we will miss her SO much. What a great dog …

We love you, Rocko! 

image

23 comments:

  1. awwh girl.
    I have tears streaming down my face for you.
    Sending you lots of love and I hope your other puppy comes home soon...

    xo
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so, so, sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing dog...what a beautiful tribute :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a tragic way to lose Rocky. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you - please know that. Hang in there and know that Rocky will be watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am sooo incredibly sorry for your loss. Hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no! Lesley, this is a beautiful tribute to a great dog. I am so sorry about your loss. :(

    I hope Adrian comes home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh. My heart is so with you :( I'm very sorry. I cannot believe the person did not stop....but at least Rocky didn't have to go through a lot of pain. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, Leslie. At least there was no pain. Sounds lie you have some beautiful memories to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RIP Rocky! I am so sorry about your loss my sweet friend. I will pray that you and Eric will get past this pain and remember Rocky for the wonderful things she brought you.

    Take care love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a terrible thing to have happened! You guys must be crushed. Poor Rocky. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honey, I'm so sorry to hear this happened! I know how much you and Erik loved Rocky by the way you showed her on the blog. I'll hug my own Rocky Socky (I call my dog that too) extra tight tonight. Losing a loyal pet is so difficult. :( At least you know she wasn't in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry! Losing a pet is so tough! Rocky reminds me of my dog Blackie. She obviously had a great life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your dog!! But at least you've had all the memories :-) Take care and keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet dog. I'll be praying for you guys, I know that is really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sad...I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw lesley i am so sorry to hear this sad news. sending a big virtual HUG to you guys right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley.. so sorry for your loss! We had all kinds of animals when I was a kid & I never handled this part of it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you guys had some fantastic experiences, and great memories though, so you'll never forget her. She's up in doggy heaven now, very happy I'm sure :) Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry for your families loss =( I hate to hear about animals this way. You are both in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is very sad, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure she is safe and happy in doggie heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear! She's gorgeous! You will be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you and erik are doing well, hun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sad. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections