Saturday, February 16, 2013

Baby bump: 13 weeks

And now onto 13 weeks!  Our 12 week appointment was on Monday and the baby’s heartbeat was beating strong at 163! It felt surreal hearing that fast, steady thump-thump; it’s not something I’ve been able to experience before. Up until that point, there was always a part of me that was nervous, scared. I’m sure it was partly due to my last experience with an almost 12 week appointment in which we only found out bad news.

Though at the same time, I’ve been realizing this is life.  I’ll likely find myself plenty of other things I’m tempted to worry about, no matter how much reassurance I receive.  And I think whether an expecting mother has had a previous miscarriage or not, it’s normal to be nervous.  I can choose whether to worry about everything happening in life, playing through what *could* happen or to just trust in God and think about all the good things happening right now! Sounds easier said than done, I know!  But it’s also pretty ironic how we always tend to think the worst what-ifs … why, instead, don’t we think about the best possible what-ifs?
13 weeks 2
13 Weeks: Me
  • Baby’s age: 13 weeks, 1 day
  • Me: Feeling good this week, about the same as last. Though I’m finding that I don’t have to go to the bathroom quite as much. Most of my jeans are very uncomfortable and feeling obtrusive so I have started utilizing theBeBand.  Leggings are good too.
  • Food: I ate my first pregnancy pickle this week. I don’t typically like stereotypes but this one came true.  The medium sized jar was gone in a matter of days and I’m going to stock up on some more later on today. I still don’t want any chicken or yogurt. Especially yogurt.
  • Bump: Though I don’t think you can tell much of a difference in the pictures, I feel like my belly is very slowly growing (well, duh, I guess that’s a given).  But it is noticeable to Erik and I, especially at nighttime.
  • Mood: I am feeling a little bit more “myself” as I move onto the second trimester. My body doesn’t feel as tired but emotional exhaustion has been hitting me hard come about 9:00 p.m. in which just about anything can still make me cry.
13 Weeks: Baby
According to my iPhone apps, this week:
  • Weighs about 20 grams and is nearly 3 inches long.
  • Baby now has the ability to open and close its fists and to make sucking movements with the muscles in its mouth.
  • Digestive system is developing into its final shapes including stomach, liver, pancreas and intestines.
  • Baby's eyelids are fused shut to protect its eyes as they develop. Bones and skull are solidifying and soon itsy-bitsy ribs may appear.
Looking forward to another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections