Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DIY: Chalkboard mugs & wine glasses

Okay, you guys … it’s finally time once again for a DIY project!!

As I mentioned last time with my DIY frame key holder, I’ve found so much inspiration for my non creative brain on Pinterest! Without it, I don’t think I would be able to think of any cool projects to tackle. That being said, this particular DIY project comes straight from Pinterest and more specifically, Wit & Whistle blog. I take no credit for the coolness of this idea! But I wanted to share my own post about it because it was just that fun.

See??

mug 3

DIY: Chalkboard paint mugs & wine glasses

What you need:

Note: The above paint is microwave and dishwasher safe once baked.

mugmug 1

How it’s done:

  1. Place painter’s tape on the areas of the dishware you do not want to paint (make sure the dishware is clean and dry!)
  2. Apply the paint to the area you’d like your “chalkboard” to be. Once covered completely, remove painter’s tape. It’s important to remove the tape before it dries so that paint is less likely to rip off with the tape.
  3. Follow paint bottle’s instructions regarding baking and drying. If you’re using the above mentioned paint, first you need to let your dishes dry for about 24 hours.
  4. Once 24 hours have past, bake in your kitchen oven at 300 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let cool a little bit before you remove them from the oven.
  5. Now you’re ready to decorate!!

Note: If you mess up while painting or if some paint smudges when tape is removed, simply wipe it off with a wet paper towel, or scrape it off if it has slightly dried.


mug 7

As you can see, I painted porcelain mugs as well as the bottom of wine glasses. I was a little worried about the glass baking but they turned out perfectly.

It’s a great way to keep track of whose glass is whose!

mug 4 mug 6mug 5

Once you get the right paint, this project is so simple and fun! The options and designs are limitless. It’s a great way to get creative, not only with where and how you apply the chalkboard paint but how you decorate them differently with chalk!

Love it.

Happy DIY’ing,

signature

3 comments:

  1. Do you know if this would work with normal (not porcelain/ceramic) chalkboard paint as well? It's the only stuff I can get my hands on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I going to have to show this to my club

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections