Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rice & Lentil Loaf

Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend!

Who didn’t watch the Superbowl?

I didn’t! I’m sorry, it probably makes me lame and uncool but please, don’t hate me because of it.

Moving right along, I thought I’d share a delicious dinner we had last week. I wanted something different, so I went with a rice and lentil loaf. I had never made one before, because let’s be real, they sound a little bit scary and don’t always look all that appealing. I wasn’t sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised.

lentil loaf 1

We ate our lentil loaf with sautéed veggies and sweet potato fries (complete with homemade ketchup). I always, always love sweet potato fries, and it was a perfect side to the loaf.

lentil loaf 5 lentil loaf 3

Rice & Lentil Loaf
Inspired by Vegetarian Lentil Loaf Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup lentils (I used green lentils, but any will work!)
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (plus a little more if you wish to top your loaf with ketchup before baking)

Instructions:

  • In a large pot, cook lentils in the 3 1/2 cups water for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and half mash them (it’s okay to have some chunks left)
  • Sautee the diced onions for about 7 minutes in the olive oil.
  • Place the sautéed onions with the mashed lentils, add your cooked rice, sea salt, and ketchup. Mix together until combined.
  • Transfer mixture into a greased loaf pan, and bake for about 1 hour, and let cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Note: Cooling is important to help keep the lentil loaf in tact.

lentil loaf 4

It was a delicious dinner, and I think I’ll definitely be making this rice and lentil loaf again.

lentil loaf 2

image

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!

nRelate - All Sections